The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, December 14, 2018

Creativity


I feel a need to be more creative.  Over the years I have had all sorts of hobbies and avocations.... playing music, writing, painting, photography, building things with wood, whittling, making clocks, repairing musical instruments, repairing cuckoo clocks, making crafts.  But the reality is that over the last several years, the amount of time I have given to these various activities has grown smaller and smaller and smaller.  Many I do not currently do.  In fact, MOST, I currently do not do other than forcing myself to play music this semester and my more recent vow to write here more consistently. 

I miss the joy of those creative pursuits.  It used to seem easy to find nooks and crannies of time to spend in those activities that helped me feel creative.  But, now-a-days it seems damn near impossible to eek out time for anything other than getting through the requirements of work for the day. 

I do not know why.  Is it that I have more work?  I cannot say that for certain.  Is it something to do with all the electronic gizmos that permeate our lives?  In some ways I wonder if that is part of the answer, but I tend to minimize my time with gizmos as much as I can.  Am I just getting stupid and slow-witted in my old age?  I hope not. 

It bothers me that creative hobbies now feel NEEDED by me, but figuring out time to DO hobbies feels like a helluva lot of work.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

This bothers me too. It seems like we have turned everything over to the experts, including making music.

Friday, 14 December, 2018  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Blogging is good, and you are keeping at that. I have photography, but that is less appealing and/or available in our long winters.

Friday, 14 December, 2018  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Food for thought. I find a lot of time seeps away reading online. There is so much more news, analysis of news, and commentary on news to keep up with than when I was young. And then there is the whole entertainment aspect of the internet also - blog reading, easy access to funny articles and cartoons and memes . . . the time gets frittered away. Even if we consciously limit our time, an hour a day is time we could spend on something else. You've asked some good questions here, things I need to be asking myself as I continually wonder why I never get anything done . . .

Sunday, 16 December, 2018  
Blogger websoft said...

nice blog...

top colleges in british columbia

Tuesday, 25 December, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home