The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, January 04, 2019

10K

I am trying to gear myself up to actually run a 10K Road Race this year.  I would relish doing so to get my "trophy" (a t-shirt of the race).  It is a bit foolish of me to be nervous and angst riddled about doing so.... I often times will run the 6.2 miles (10K) in my morning run, so I know technically I *can* do it. 

But, it is difficult for me to overcome the psychological barrier of "running" amongst other people who ARE athletic and ARE runners.  In many ways in my head I am still very much the pudgy kid I was growing up, who was not athletic... or I am still very much the 300 pound heavyweight I was for a number of years.  Psychologically, I feel like I do not "fit in" running an actual race.... in public... with other REAL runners.

It took a lot of energy and gave me a lot of anxiety this year when I ran a few 5K races.  I was VERY excited at completing them.  But I was very self conscious during the races themselves.

But, I think it will be good to push myself to do a public 10K.

PipeTobacco 

2 Comments:

Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

good for you
the Ol'Bzzard

Sunday, 06 January, 2019  
Blogger Jane said...

I hope you do it!
You were excited at completing the 5k's. Imagine finishing the 10K!

Tuesday, 08 January, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home