The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 01, 2019

Ice Pack


The ice-pack image is a rather 'stock' image for New Year's Day to represent significant overindulgence in spirits the evening before.  Fortunately, I very rarely drink to a level where such an ice-pack is desired.  I believe I have had a hangover of that sort perhaps only a handful of times in my life.  Once when I started graduate school and was quite a novice, and the other few times typically associated with a robust wedding reception.  So, the ice-pack is just for show this morning.

Well, it is now 2019.  Last evening, my wife and I spent a quiet evening together examining our hopes and dreams for the upcoming year as we have done each year since we began dating so many, many years ago.  It was a gentle, quiet time of reflection and love. 

A tradition that was a bit different than in years past was in beverages.  My wife is a virtual "tee-totaler" and so typically in years past, I have coaxed her into having us open a bottle of wine on New Year's Eve, but truth-be-told, I would typically drink the lion's share of the bottle.  This year, however, because of my pipe fast, I was a bit hesitant about how much to drink as I anticipated that being slightly "sloshy" feeling would lead me to yearn for a pipe.  It had been my normal pattern to truly and deeply relish a strong bowl of dark tobacco in my pipe when I would become gently "sloshy" of mind.... it always has been a very beautiful paring that I would enjoy.

However, I did not want to have to work through the philosophical arguments in my mind last night about whether to have a pipe or not.  So, instead of a bottle of wine to "share" with my wife, I instead gently worked through two bottles of a pleasant I.P.A. style beer during the evening.  I do admit that there were a few moments when I *did* contemplate a pipe, but I was not "sloshy" enough to end up having a serious internal debate.

Happy 2019!

PipeTobacco 

7 Comments:

Blogger Forsythia said...

Happy New Year. We had a quiet evening at home. Went to a friend's holiday open house, and then home. The two of us curled up on the couch. The dog joined us. Cozy and warm, while outside, it dripped cold rain.

Tuesday, 01 January, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Well done. That was good planning, and you reaped a good result.

Tuesday, 01 January, 2019  
Blogger BBC said...

I had two beers and one smoke so that wasn't to bad.

Tuesday, 01 January, 2019  
Blogger SmitoniusAndSonata said...

The traditional Dutch barrage of midnight fireworks started at nine this year, so I didn't even try for sobriety, let alone gently working through a beer.

Tuesday, 01 January, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

It been ages since I had a hang over. Wishing you many blessing for 2019
Coffee is on

Tuesday, 01 January, 2019  
Blogger Jane said...

Happy New Year!

Wednesday, 02 January, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Don't worry, I had a drink for you.
the Ol'Buzzard

Wednesday, 02 January, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home