The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, January 08, 2019

Alto Clarinet





As many of you know, I enjoy playing music and have recently rejoined a wind ensemble I had been away from.  My primary instruments are the bass clarinet and the tenor saxophone.  But I can also play the clarinet and the alto clarinet. 

The alto clarinet, though, is a seldom used instrument in most modern permutations of orchestras.  I am not sure why that is, but I suspect it is due to their rareness... and due to their vocal range being effectively covered by the alto saxophone (both are pitched in Eb).  It may also be due to a inherent tendency for the instrument to be a bit  off-key if not played with diligence and care. 

But, I have always enjoyed the instrument and I am happy to say that I am going to be able to play it for one particular piece we are working through now!  My primary instrument will still be the bass clarinet in this group, but this one piece, has an important part for the alto, and I look forward to being able to double on it in my group!  I am going to dig out my alto clarinet and polish it up so it looks nice and shiny and will have it ready to go.

PipeTobacco


2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You are a Renaissance man.

As for Kindle and fiction vs non fiction, I tend to be opposite of you. I am fine with fiction on Kindle (although I am also quite fine with paper), but I seem to prefer paper for non fiction, especially if, perhaps, I might want to take a note or two. Having thus said, I can certainly cope with non-fiction in electronic form.

Tuesday, 08 January, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

my favorite instrument .tenor sax

Tuesday, 08 January, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home