The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, February 01, 2019

Microbiota


With my background and research related to physiology and development, I am finding a great deal of interesting work of late looking at how our gastrointestinal microbiota can shape so many facets of physiology, including some aspects related to endocrinology and behavior. 

One of the aspects of this new information I have incorporated into my lectures in physiology concern the roles we are starting to identify for the microbiota in terms of shaping a persons propensity for developing Type II diabetes.  Type II diabetes is increasing in the U.S. at astounding rates and there are a myriad of potential triggers that have been identified including:

1.  atypical microbiota
2.  atypical chemicals in the environment (pollutants, but also contact chemicals of everyday life)
3.  stress and stress response changes at the societal level

Most folks know how Type II diabetes is associated with obesity and diet..... it is a disease of the LOSS of sensitivity or a decline in the number of insulin receptors on our cells.  But.... the role of obesity and diet may be far more a SECONDARY effect rather than the trigger of the condition.  The three items above seem to be more and more likely the actual TRIGGERS of the condition.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

It is like the chicken and the egg. Does the diet determine the Microbiota or does the microbiota exist before the ingested diet that produces the environment for the microbes.

I believe it is more genetic.
the Ol'Buzzard

Friday, 01 February, 2019  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

Interesting that I have nothing to say. But then I have no knowledge here. Nothing, nada, zilch.

Saturday, 02 February, 2019  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That's interesting. And it's strange that there are so many allergies, diseases, behavioural traits being claimed by people these days. Is it awareness, knowledge, pollution, or jumping on the band-wagon?

Saturday, 02 February, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

I'm watching the science write-ups on this topic with great interest. As a child I could eat many more things than I can now; I developed acid reflux in my early thirties and it's gotten worse over the years. And the more restricted my diet, the more I feel I am missing out on good "bugs". I hope there are some breakthroughs soon!

Monday, 04 February, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home