The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, May 03, 2019

Davis, Coltrane, Hawkins






During the last few months I have been returning (delving back into) my passion for jazz.   I have been listening to many of my favorite recordings.  I am especially fond of John Coltrane and Coleman Hawkins and Charlie Parker because of their focus on the saxophone.  But, I think today, the first link I have listed is my favorite for this moment.... it is an early Miles Davis and it is from the period of time where I think his music was at its peak.  All three songs are exceptional, so please listen to all three... but if you can only pick one.... listen to "It Never Entered My Mind". 
Hawkins. 

"It Never Entered My Mind" by Davis:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Np8PJDGq_A

"Wise One" by Coltrane:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrqb0373cVs

"Ballad" by Hawkins & Parker:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZoZ3BeQ2U

Amazing work and amazing music and creativity.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Iris Blue said...

John Ckoltrane's legs seem to be cut off. LOL

Saturday, 04 May, 2019  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

type "relaxing blues" into the youtube search bar.

Saturday, 04 May, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

Jazz...and those 3...rock

Sunday, 05 May, 2019  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

All great choices and I would add Dave Brubeck and Thelonius Monk.

Monday, 06 May, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home