The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Sunday, June 16, 2019

Fathers

At Mass this morning, a sizable amount of my thoughts were related to my various fathers I have had in my life.  I miss them all:

My Dad, for whom this Father’s Day will be his 25th one in Heaven.... I miss you and our times together so very much!  Important conversations, silly conversations, fishing, Coney Dogs, your love and your guidance, your insights, your inspirations for us and our family, and for the hobby of pipes.  You are still a motivating and inspirational force in my life each day!

For my Father-in-Law, for whom this Father’s Day is your 2nd on in Heaven... I miss you and our fun, relaxing times at your home, at Deer Camp, our long conversations, our celebrations together with beer and a little bit of whisky, and our pipes.  You too have been a true father to me, more so than the “in-law” moniker suggests.

Catholic Frs. David and Greg.  Fr. David, you have been in heaven now for 22 years, and Fr Greg, you have been in heaven for 24 years.  Both of you, I thank you for your guidance and your insight.  You each helped me further understand and deepen my Faith and helped me to realize how my faith is always a part of how I work and navigate in my daily life to try to be a server, a servant to others.  You helped me to better understand how, while I do like and enjoy being recognized for working hard to try to do a good job in all facets of my life, that recognition is truly unimportant, and that it is the work that really matters.

For two of my very valuable uncles, Chester and Cap.  Cap, you have been in heaven now for 25 years, and Chester, it has now been 20 years since you have been in heaven.  Your love and kindness, your friendship and guidance have meant the world to me.

I fervently hope that all of you look down upon me and are happy with my work, my efforts in my family, in my faith, in my work at the U.  You each have been and continue to be so very important to me

Addendum:  I foolishly forgot to add my two academic “fathers”, my graduate school mentors, who shaped my focus as a scientist. Raymond (now in heaven for 25 years) and Lyn (now in heaven for 7 years).  Both of these men helped me to take my interest in science and find a passion in my specialization.  I owe both men a great deal of gratitude for their guidance in shaping who I have become.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Wow! If I am reading correctly, you lost in a span of less than two years your biological father, an uncle, and a treasured priest-friend, and within a five-year span you lost those three and two other valued influences. The last half of the 1990s must have been terrible for you! Best wishes for what I hope is a much happier day today.

Sunday, 16 June, 2019  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...


1994 was an enormously horrific year of loss in my family. There are many additional relatives and friends in my family who passed away in that damnable year. I do not really recall much of that year other than the losses.

Sunday, 16 June, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Lovely post.
Coffee is on

Sunday, 16 June, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

my daddy died in 82...I miss him as much today as I did the day he died...

Monday, 17 June, 2019  
Blogger Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This was a lovely tribute and remembrance of so many important people in your life.

Thursday, 20 June, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home