The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, June 13, 2019

Subs & Grinders


I would tend to say that push-come-to-shove.... one of my very favorite things to eat are submarine sandwiches.  Luckily, I have a variety of places to choose from and each has its own distinct flair.  From the ubiquitous  "Subway" sandwich to a whole array of local establishments that offer unique twists on this wonderful sandwich.  

These days, I tend to try to have my sub sandwiches be as healthy as possible (to help me maintain my weight loss and normal BMI).  That usually means I get a sub that is without cheese, and is often vegetarian, or if I "indulge" I may get turkey on the sandwich.  Usually I use mustard as the dressing.  They are good, and they are filling.  BUT....

Back when I was in graduate school.... there was this wonderful, amazing shop that built the most delicious, huge, decadent baked subs (grinders) around!  I remember getting these gigantic subs plastered with four different types of cheese, four different types of meat, baked to perfection and slathered with enough sauces to ensure dripping into my beard and mustache and down the front of my shirt!  I so frequently got these subs, that the owners knew my name (like on Cheers) and would have my order nearly in the oven before I got to the counter.  I used to polish off this enormous monstrosity with a huge basket of crispy golden fries, and a truckload of cola and often a few beers to boot.  Then I would be nearly (but happily) catatonic for the remainder of the evening. 

Such a damn good sandwich.  Sadly, I was able to visit my old graduate school a few years ago, and unfortunately, the grinder shop had gone belly up. 

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That shop couldn't survive without your custom.

Thursday, 13 June, 2019  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I like subs also. The reason with all there veggies on them.
Coffee is on

Thursday, 13 June, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home