The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, May 24, 2019

Feeling Old


I am feeling old.

Numerically, I would be thought of as old, but I am not really talking about my age at the moment.

Nor am I speaking so much in the physical sense.  I still did my 5 miles of running this morning, and actually have been also keeping consistent in my weight training as well to improve upper body tone.

I am talking about my mindset, I think.  Here is what transpired:

My wife and I have always enjoyed movies, and have enjoyed going to movie theaters to watch movies.  But, during the last several years, there has a been a steady decline in the number of films we see.

A big part of the reason for the decline is what *I* perceive as a considerable change in movie genre.  In my view, there has been a dramatic change in the types of movies that would reach theaters.  Today, it seems that the lion's share of movies are in only a few categories:

1.  Comic Book / Fantasy films
2.  Sequels of Comic Book / Fantasy films
3.  "Epic" versions of Comic Book / Fantasy films (think the innumerable variations on "Star Wars" or "Lord of the Rings")
4.  Action Films with so much CGI that they are in effect "Fantasay" films as well with added violence.
5.  Horror/Murder/Slasher/Attack/Extreme Violence films
6.  Raunchy "Comedies"
7.  Raunchy "Comedic" Horror/Murder/Slasher/Attack/Extreme Violence films
8.  Children's films

Now, I damn well know there are other films out there, but it seems in my neck of the woods (and I have checked in other cities as well.... but.... the above 8 PREDOMINATE virtually all theaters other than the rarer than platinum "art-house" theaters, that persist in some lucky locations.

So,,, when a self proclaimed "Romantic Comedy" called "Long Shot" suddenly appeared on the marquee at one of our theaters.... and it ALSO received good "Rotten Tomato" scores.... my wife and I made a beeline to go see it.

*     *     *     *     *

Well.....

*     *     *     *     *

How do I parse this out?

*     *     *     *     *

Ok.... here it goes....

1.  If I were to judge the movie based upon about 50% of the screen time of the film, I could say it was a reasonably enjoyable, kind-of-sort-of romantic comedy of sorts.  If I could have seen that 50% with the other 50% excised, I would probably have given the film a "B-" or a "C+" grade and would have been satisfied.

2.  BUT.... this "Romantic Comedy" 's other 50% of screen time.... and I am serious.... had the dialog consist entirely of the very coarse cuss word that means to copulate and starts with the letter "F".

Now, seriously, I am not a prude by any means.  I hear that particular word frequently (unfortunately) because it is so commonplace these days.  BUT.... really..... it felt like EVERY THIRD WORD uttered in this film was that particular word.  Added to this, one of the more "comedic" plot twists leading to the two main characters realizing they "loved" each other, was when the a video surfaced of the male lead sexually gratifying himself in front of a computer video camera.

Come on.  None of that was funny, comedic, or enjoyable in my opinion.  [sigh] 

With all of the above in #2.... there was no other grade to give this film other than an "F".

The era of "gross out humor" and "comic book storylines" makes me feel awfully damn old.

PipeTobacco

8 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We thought we'd give a tv series a try. I can't even remember what it was, but it was a well-known and even liked American cop show. It was so coarse that we didn't make it through one episode. I don't think it's because we're old. We just don't like crude and lewd for its own sake when no other merit.

Friday, 24 May, 2019  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

we're old and not the target demographic for movie makers. we're now the prime target demographic for the medical industrial complex. free enterprise at work.

Friday, 24 May, 2019  
Blogger GaP said...

I was raised on comic books...so the ongoing Marvel Cinematic Universe is a grand achievement in my eyes....especially as they're done well...Try IRON MAN out. You'll be surprised at how well put together it is...

Saturday, 25 May, 2019  
Blogger Bill Lisleman said...

Yes slim pickings out there for those looking for a movie not targeted at the younger crowd. One trend I've been surprised about is the video gaming connection. Serious game playing often goes strong until people hit 30 and beyond. I enjoyed video games but mostly the coin operated ones so the spare change in my pocket kept the gaming time limited.
Of the recent movies (over the past year) I've enjoyed were the two that came out about Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. If you didn't know about the movie, its title "On The Basis Of Sex", might mislead you.

Saturday, 25 May, 2019  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

This is a cultural thing. As younger generations replace us they come with different music taste, different comic appreciation, and a different take on life.
We did the same to our parent's generation; we changed the culture. As we age we are most comfortable in the things we grew up appreciation - but nothing stays the same. You are realizing that you no longer are in the cultural main stream.
Welcome to the club
the Ol'Buzzard

Sunday, 26 May, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I find there are better tv shows and tv movies than what is on big screen..plus the prices are so ridiculous..

Tuesday, 28 May, 2019  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I shall avoid it. Sounds grim. We notice when we look at 5-starred films that many of them fall in the categories you describe and conclude they are aimed at the younger audience.

I'm sure some of the Marvel movies are good but ... can't be bothered. I still remember the thrill of seeing christopher Reeve as Superman.

Tuesday, 28 May, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

My husband was just observing something like that a couple of weeks ago. He categorized them as mostly superhero and childrens' movies. We haven't been to a movie in years, mostly because we haven't been able to make it to the few movies we would have been interested in - either too busy with work or sick!

Saturday, 01 June, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home