The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Just Had To...

I just need to get this down on paper, because it has been bothering me quite a bit.  Yesterday morning, I learned unfortunate news about a friend I knew from back in graduate school.  Unfortunately, his 45 year old son passed away due to sepsis from a surgery he had undergone. 

Yes, I know these things very unfortunately do happen.  But I feel so many different things.  I feel tremendous sadness for their family.  I feel shock especially since it happened so aggressively and quickly (less than 24 hours), and it gives me this hollow, nervous feeling as well just fearing about family and friends.

The situation left me feeling on edge all day yesterday and also so far today.  I thought that perhaps my writing it down here would help me feel less chaotic about the tragedy emotionally.  I feel so very sorry about the agony and grief they are having to go through.

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is certainly an eye-opener how a surgery can have that result and so quickly too. The family must be reeling.

Sunday, 22 September, 2019  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

live each day to the fullest..it just might be your last

Sunday, 22 September, 2019  
Blogger ^.^ said...

Hello from Alberta, Canada. Got here via Geo. Interesting and informative blog you got here, Professor Frumpy. I will try and return to this place. Regarding this particular post … yes, it is a well known fact that hospitals can be a breeding ground for infections of many kinds, including and especially staphylococcus aureus. A young boy in my neighbourhood passed away following surgery a couple of years ago, and the family still talks about the "staff" infection that killed him … and right they are because often simple proper hand washing practice can prevent tragedies like this. I work in a hospital setting and have yet to see a physician wash his hands in between seeing patients … My heartfelt condolences go out to the family you mentioned. cat.

Monday, 23 September, 2019  
Blogger BBC said...

At least he didn't suffer very long. And dying at any time is assured so live life as if that day may be your last.

Tuesday, 24 September, 2019  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Death is our friend, but never welcome, whether it comes quickly and unexpectedly or whether the person lingers and suffers.

Tuesday, 24 September, 2019  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I hope you are feeling better now.

My friend's wife died of sepsis equally suddenly - and young. It is a horrible thing and a bit of an awareness campaign has happened. Posters alerting people to signs have appeared. It's the suddenness that is so awful. So little time to do anything.

Wednesday, 09 October, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home