The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Beautiful Pipe

I normally am not a huge fan of rusticated pipes (rusticated is used as a term to indicate when the bowl of the pipe is left natural or even "roughened" up to give a "natural" texture to the bowl).  When I look back at my collection of well more than 100 pipes, I have only 3-4 that are rusticated.  I have always liked the smoother, machined finishes and traditional shapes. 

But, I have to say, the pipe I have shown in the image above...... I find it awfully damn attractive and would think that I would find it to be an excellent smoking device.  The rustication is not TOO intensive and it has a wonderfully elegant shape otherwise.  The small brass ornamental ring between shank and stem adds flair and not a common feature on a rusticated bowl either. 

I have been scouring all sorts of pipe shops on line, looking at all the beautiful pipes I can find.  But, the one above.... just really struck a chord with me.  I can easily imagine in my mind's eye.... filling the bowl with beautifully dark, sticky crumbles of burley leaf and slowly drawing a flame deep into the bowl.  The above pipe just SEEMS like it would be an EXCELLENT smoking pipe.

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

Does it bother you at all that you have more than a hundred old friends sitting unused, while here you are looking at another pipe that you would delight in owning and smoking? If you are going to be a "non-smoking pipe smoker" from now on, shouldn't you give/sell your pipes to someone who would give them the care and attention they deserve? Or do you resist parting with your old friends because you KNOW that you will sooner or later return to them? Just be sure not to let your old pipes read your fond appreciation of this other pipe, lest they become jealous of the attention!

Tuesday, 15 October, 2019  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

looks like a good way to smoke a little weed. i had an excellent bumper crop this year and it's a lot of fun topping and sculpting the plants to get maximum buds. you would have blast growing the stuff.

Tuesday, 15 October, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

Seeing your last post juxtaposed with this one, it rather belatedly occurred to me to wonder if you've made the connection between not smoking and good running time? I expect you have, but I mention it in case you have not.

Tuesday, 15 October, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home