The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, October 14, 2019

I Timed Myself....

Yes, I am still running.  And, yes, I am still getting in 32-35 miles a week.  And, yes.... my one goal that I added for 2019 is something I am still consistent on:

I vowed to myself that at least one run every week in 2019 would be a minimum of 10K (6.2 miles).  I started this goal to try to show myself that I could be comfortable in actually entering an actual road race as a 10K runner..... and get myself a "trophy" t-shirt showing that I did it!

So, here it is in October and I have ran 10K at least once each week.  In fact, it has become a distance I really like.  So, I took the next step and officially timed myself to get an accurate indication of my speed.  I ran this 10K in 56 minutes and 12 seconds.  I was quite pleased!   I do now think I can be comfortable enough to register for a 10K race and not be OVERLY concerned about being embarrassed and making a fool out of myself.  I *should* be able to do this in an actual race event and can get my t-shirt.  I think I will try to find one to enter soon.

And.... it may only be a "pipe dream" at the moment.... but I am *thinking about* maybe..... just maybe..... seeing if I can force myself to run a distance of a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles or 21K) to see if I can survive it.  If I can force myself to do it and feel ok after.... *maybe* I will try to set a goal for myself of trying to run a 1/2 marathon road race in 2020?!?!?!?!?!   I do not know.... it may perhaps stay a "pipe dream".... I do not know if I could do it or not.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It amazes me that a body can take this pounding. Mine couldn't, even at a relatively young age.

Monday, 14 October, 2019  
Blogger jenny_o said...

It sounds like you are well-prepared for a 10k, and as for a longer one, well, why not? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Tuesday, 15 October, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home