The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Swimming



Even though my wife is not yet over her pneumonia, it *does* seem like she is finally responding to the antibiotics (her third round) and does seem to be better than she had been in several weeks.  As long as it is maintained, I will be very relieved.  It has been quite worrisome as this has been going on for between 8 & 9 weeks now.  But, at least things look like they are heading in a positive direction. 

With the cold weather occurring in my neck of the woods (we have had several mornings with significant frost already), running outside is a "bulkier" experience.  I am currently running my daily five miles at 5am with my regular running clothes, sweat pants, a sweat shirt, a stocking hat, and over that an ear warming hat (pictured above)... plus gloves.  It is sometimes quite cold when I start out, but after a mile or two it seems fine.  Even with the cold, I do appreciate being able to be outside and to run outside.   I know that all too soon, there will be ice on the trail and sidewalks and because I am too damn clumsy for my own good, I will have to transition to running indoors on a local track again.  It is so much nicer being outside. 

But, even with my running to relive stress, I find that at the end of the workday, I do need to find a way to relax as well.  And, currently, my favorite activity is to head to the U pool to swim.  Sometimes it is only for 15 minutes, sometimes as long as an hour.  But, the full body immersion into the water seems to bring a sense of tranquility to my thoughts, my body relaxes and I feel better and can look forward to the evening.  Because of my wife's illness, she has not been able to go swimming with me.... she did several time during the Summer.  I hope that once she returns back to health (hopefully soon), she will once again want to swim along with me. 

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home