The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, October 25, 2019

The Smell


Last night, I and dug out a few tins and a few bags of some of my favorite pipe tobaccos and opened them, simply breathing in their beautiful odors.  I *did* have some strong thoughts about smoking a bowl of two, but I was able to stave off that action.  The smell of each in their container though.... beautiful.   The above image is like one of the many different tobacco pouches I would regularly carry around with me all day.  I have black leather ones and brown leather ones that would coordinate with whether I was wearing brown shoes and belt or black shoes and belt while teaching at the U. 

I promised my father many long decades ago that I would always wear "professional" attire while teaching.... and promised him to never go into class being a "damn hippie slob".  I have never NOT worn at minimum a dress shirt and tie (usually a jacket too, and yes I have several with elbow patches still) when I am in front of a classroom of students.  I do this, not because it is necessary.  Folks dress in all manner of ways these days in and out of the classroom.  I did this the first time I stepped in front of a class in graduate school, and I have done it ever time I have been teaching a class since....  and I have every intention to continue to do this until I retire.... to honor my father and to show my  respect, love and appreciation for him.

On weekends or during time off, I do not really care and do enjoy dressing more like a bum or a hobo.  :)  And, I never paid much attention on weekends to the color of the tobacco pouch I would have with me.... I usually just grabbed the one that felt the most full at the time. :)

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I try to dress neatly at least when i'm out in public; at home anything goes.

I have never smoked in my life but I love the smell of tobacco shops.

Friday, 25 October, 2019  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home