The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 16, 2020

29 Months


It has now been 29 complete months since I have given up my pipe smoking hobby.  I have a variety of thoughts on this:

1.  I still miss the fun, the enjoyment of the activity of smoking a pipe. 

2.  A few weeks ago, I was in a period where I had a reawakening of very deep yearnings to smoke my pipes and pipe tobaccos, and it surprised me that those very strong desires returned for several days.  I can say that in the last few days, that "yearning" has declined back to a more manageable level. I still find it surprising that the feelings can ebb and flow so differently at times.  I had predicted it would be more akin to a consistently, gradually declining interest.... but that does not see to be the case.  It is more of a sinusoidal wave pattern of desire.

3.  Truth be told, if this were an earlier time when smoking in general was more widely accepted, I would not hesitate to return to the practice.

4.  Life is QUITE SHOCKINGLY different today compared with life say even just 5 years ago. Whereas five years ago, things seemed pretty even-keeled.... politically.... economically.... environmentally.... public health-wise.... and pipe smoking-wise,  today is pretty much chaos at every turn.  I would never have imagined the politics of today... I would never have envisioned the chaos of the economy due to Covid-19... I would never have imagined the degree of change in the environmental policies of today... I would never have imagined the disregard for science and public health policies of today.... and I would never have imagined NOT smoking a pipe as a "normal" pattern in my life.  After several decades of joyfully being a pipe smoker, I really never thought of or really imagined life without being a pipe smoker.

PipeTobacco 

8 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

After several decades of joyfully being a pipe smoker, I really never thought of or really imagined life without being a pipe smoker.

Ah, professor, but you still are a pipe smoker. You just haven't smoked your pipes (other than in your dreams) for 29 months. You may be a non-smoking pipe smoker for the rest of your life, unless you can convince yourself that your pipes are a distasteful reminder of a hobby/practice/habit that was detracting from your life. From what friends have told me, the "yearning" will come and go for the rest of your life, unless you can somehow make the break with your past and learn to despise or even fear your pipes and your beloved hobby. You seem like a strong-willed fellow who can do that, if you choose. Or, you may end up displaying your strong will by returning to your pipes despite so much societal disapproval.

You seem not to care about society's opinion in some areas (politics, public health, value of science), yet you want to gain society's approval by not smoking your pipes. When you figure out that conundrum, whichever direction it takes you, I suspect your life may feel less "chaotic." Good luck with it all!

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Hello Pat!

Glad to hear from you! You have not been here much recently and I had missed you.

The conundrum beyond the societal issue I wrote about, is that I know that pipe smoking is an unhealthful thing to do at least across a lifetime. And even though I would very much like to and want to continue to smoke my pipes, I also feel that health is something I should strive for for my family and spiritually. A part of me *thinks* there may be a way to be an “occasional” indulged in the beloved pipe tobacco hobby where it has a low potential to impact health. But, I am not sure of where I would say that mark is with clarity, nor am I sure if I have the gumption and/or fortitude for that likely very measured approach to the avocation.

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

And so enter this as a kind of subset data footnote. I have thought more about the relaxation that pipe smoking afforded me decades ago, than I have previously. Apparently I did not stay with the pipe as long as you. It was a challenge to "enjoy" a pipe in the midst of news room mania, deadlines and chasing after stories. That is when I gave it up. I had not thought about it for a seeming lifetime, but as I have read your thoughts I've remembered fond moments. It has not renewed a desire, but it has reanimated some great memories. One that is notable is sitting in my room, a converted sunporch/conservatory, on winter nights. Snug and with a pipe, and looking out at a snow covered world, studies done for the day and the great dreams of life to come as the pipe glowed.

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger Mr. Shife said...

Science? Who needs science? The brilliant minds in DC had this to say today: White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany on school reopenings: "The science should not stand in the way of this.”
This will make me feel so good about sending my kiddos back to school.
I used to chew tobacco and quit almost 20 years ago. The cravings have long subsided but I do remember the yearnings that would pop up occasionally when I was only a few years in. Best of luck to you.
What made you give up the pipe?
I had to give up smokeless tobacco due to health concerns.

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

That is indeed a beautiful memory.

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I did not have any health concerns that guided me to refrain. Mostly, it was a mix of wanting to know I had the fortitude to do so, the change in the culture (especially at my U), and a feeling that for the love of my family and for spiritually it was something I “should” do to work to try to be a better person.

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger Pat M. said...

spiritually it was something I “should” do to work to try to be a better person.

But there have been saints who smoked, and plenty of grave sinners who were non-smokers (and teetotalers, and vegetarians, etc.). Just as there have been sinners who smoked. Adolf Hitler was a non-smoker; Joseph Stalin smoked a pipe. Tobacco consumption seems to be irrelevant to the project of being a better person. If anything, it's the "why" behind your choice that might have to do with becoming a better person, and there are "whys" on either side of that equation.

Thursday, 16 July, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

It been a strange ride since covid. A job well done a little over 2 years.

Friday, 17 July, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home