The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Lentil and Other Legumes


One of the most pleasant aspects for me of our journey to eating a greater abundance of healthy foods..... is the dramatic increase in our consumption of legumes.  Even though my wife is not as gun-ho about it as I am.... I can say whole heartedly that I have never met a legume I did not like. 

The term "legume" is used to describe the seeds of certain plants. Common edible legumes include lentils, peas, chickpeas, beans, soybeans, and peanuts. I have always enjoyed them, but for a lot of my life, these beautiful foods tended to be prepared in ways that made them minor players.... side dishes, so-to-speak.  

But, for the last several years, we have used them to such an extent that they TYPICALLY are the star attraction in our meals.... at least I think so.   My wife, although we choose to select lentils as the star, would still prefer to have a lot of meat in our diet. For me, it has been several years now that I had typically eaten only one, perhaps occasionally two meals a week with meat (turkey or chicken).  

That has further declined since Covid-19 restrictions and worries started in March.  I think we are now having perhaps one meal with turkey.... once a month since that time.  

But.... actually..... with how absolutely wonderful legumes are.... I do not feel restricted food-wise at all.  

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

Agree, whole heartedly with you about the value and wonder of legumes. In this home, it was my wife Lana who started us in that direction.

Tuesday, 14 July, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I love beans..a lot..lentils? not so much.

Tuesday, 14 July, 2020  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

There a lot one can do with lentils. There great in burritos.

Tuesday, 14 July, 2020  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

what about salmon? it's my go to food these days. and i'm guzzling olive oil.

Tuesday, 14 July, 2020  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

I also would like to eat less meat and more legume; but my wife is not as receptive. We do canned beans; but I prefer the dry. I do like a piece of ham or salt pork in my cooked beans.
the Ol'Buzzard

Wednesday, 15 July, 2020  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Yes.... I agree that dried beans and legumes tend to be the best..... more flavor and more texture IMO.

PipeTobacco

Wednesday, 15 July, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home