The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Mind of Fall, Byrd of Trumpet, Shoe Stomps


 

Ran my nine miles back in the dark this morning.  I hit the trail at 4:50am.  I had to get it done as fast as possible, because I had a lab class today that was face-to-face, and I needed some extra time for preparation before it began at 9:00am.  Part of the lab had students work to create an environment where they could manipulate gametes, and guide the interaction of these gametes to see fertilization envelopes form live as they watched under the scope.  It worked well, and is one of my favorite lab experiences for this class.  

Now I am in my office, and I have Donald Byrd's album, "Byrd In Hand" playing in the background as I cyborg away. I am moving my fingers as rapidly as I can muster on the keyboard in a way similar to the furious pace of the paws of a hamster on its running wheel.  I want and need to keep at least a smidgen ahead in all this computer work.  I can, however, sense the sharp teeth of the "wolves of failure"  nipping at my heels... eager for an easy kill if I should stumble and fall behind in my cyborgish labor.  

This time of year lends itself to being especially pipe pleasant.  And, thoughts and memories of smoking my pipes in the cool, crisp Autumn environment regularly and repeatedly traipse through my mind.  Hell, thoughts of pipes and pipe tobaccos *always* seem to be running through my mind.  But, what I mean is that I have so very many pleasant memories and associations with the pipe in Fall, that I seem to cycle back through them often and easily all day long. 

Part of me is wondering if I am heading back towards another time of deep, strong yearnings for actually smoking my pipe?  If I have learned anything in these 32+ months, it is that I am likely going to still experience deep, soul-grabbing, yearnings and longings for my pipes and pipe tobaccos.... probably for several years or my whole life.  If I AM heading back into that deep yearning, I hope I am going to be prepared.  

Over the last two days, I have been working on making a giant batch of my favorite recipe of spicy and tangy black beans.  I made this batch EXTRA SIZED and filled our largest crockpot to the brim when I began. They have been in the crockpot on low since last evening right before my wife and I went to bed.  They should be just right for dinner this evening.   Perhaps on nachos.      

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

I trust that it works for you, but I am amazed by your willpower in keeping your pipes and even old tobaccos around for the last 32 months. If I were in your shoes I would worry that the easy proximity of pipes and tobaccos would make the "deep yearning" moments much harder to endure and would pretty much guarantee a return to the pipe-smoking brotherhood. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it does seem to me that you are putting your will through an undue test that would be much, much easier to endure if you could find a valued friend who could become (temporary or permanent) custodian of your pipes if you cannot bear to discard them.

Wednesday, 28 October, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

Professor...the pipe is calling you. It's clear that you miss it. The whole practice and philosophy made you happy. It's a calling that must be considered. For my own part, I'm still learning to be a pipeman. Halting and stumbling on my path. Learning the tobaccos, the types of pipes, how not to light up on an empty stomach with the heavier types of tobaccos. It's an amazing journey and I still feel like I'm a fraud newbie at it. My partner feared that I would "graduate" to cigarettes...but that hasn't happened. Hell, I don't even smoke regularly. But I enjoy the journey and the friends I'm making along the way. You have to do what's right for YOU.

Wednesday, 28 October, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home