The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Complaint Department

 A bulleted list because I just got home:

9 miles ran.  near freezing temps again, and 15-20 mph winds.  It was hard going.

Cyborging non-stop for 5 hours.

Meeting with histrionic instructors I oversee that are upset because so many students are requesting a “quarentine” version of the upcoming exam and the instructors do not like it.  

My oldest daughter is on an emotional roller-coaster about Covid and how it is “destroying” her life..... yes, it is bad, but she is also safe and sound, and the things she is emotional about are things that will not matter to her in 5 years, but she does not realize this, and is not really able to realize it without the experiences.  She needs to be heard, but it is very hard to hear her distress, but I persevere.

Another instructor notifies me he himself is in quarantine and cannot come to campus to teach his damn class... so guess who has to do it 30 minutes later... me.  Three hours of masked lecture off the top of my head and it started at 5pm. I just got out at 8pm.

The hospitals all across my region are filled to capacity and talking about “rationed” care.

I am doing my damndest to stay safe and to keep my family safe  It is hard at the moment.

I carried a filled pipe with me most of the day.  I so wanted to smoke my pipe.  I did not.

PipeTobacco 



4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think a lockdown is in order.

Thursday, 12 November, 2020  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Yes, it's hard on everyone and it's not really winter yet. We're going to need lots of patience and resilience to get through the next 3-4 months. At least there's a vaccine on the horizon, although the logistics of supply and distribution look daunting.

Thursday, 12 November, 2020  
Blogger Ol'Buzzard said...

Just like your daughter, you will get through this. We are on a rollercoaster that never ends- but there are gentler peaks ahead.
As humans we make our own dramas and eventually our own destruction.
There are many that would envy you: a home, a wife, a job - there are many during this time that have neither.
the Ol'Buzzard

Thursday, 12 November, 2020  
Blogger GaP said...

You have my full sympathy, Professor...I do NOT know how you do it. Instructors are being asked to do things they have NOT signed up for...ie, carrying the weight of remote viewing implementation. I would NOT do well in such a chaotic situation...

Thursday, 12 November, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home