The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, November 04, 2020

Some Outside Work

 


 

I ran my 9 miles at 5am to get them done.  It was really nice.... about 45 degrees... much warmer than in a while at 5am.  

Today was a day where everything I did at work was online.... so I was able to stay home from the Covid-cauldron of the U environment.  Besides teaching my online classes that were “live” and cyborging all sorts of other materials for my students, I was able to do an important outdoor project that has been making me nervous:

All of the windows on the outside of my home have “fancy” (read complex), moldings and casing surrounding them.  The “fancy” (read complex) part is above the window and consists of a shelf-like structure with ornate crown molding under it all attached to a heavy board with additional “fancy” (read complex) elements.  It is not exactly like the image, but is similar.  

With the age of the house, all of these “fancy” (read complex) ornamental features were initially custom made by whomever built the house way back when.  Unfortunately, one window was showing wear and the casement was pulling away from the house.  Yesterday afternoon I went up in a ladder planning to push the casement back into position and had thought I could simple screw it back into place.  Unfortunately, the wood architecture was (do to weathering and age) dry rotted and as I tried to position it back in place.... the entire thing started to disintegrate.  And it left a gaping hole about 4 ft by 2 feet where this winter considerable water and moisture would accumulate and would likely wreck havoc with actual important structural elements of the window and wall of the home.  So I had to do something.   

So, against my better judgement, I pieced the old stuff back together as best as I could and took it with me and went to the lumber yard.  Unfortunately, as it was made “custom” none of the standard sizes of lumber were the right thickness, and there was no crown molding quite if the original style.... but I substituted as best as I could and proceeded home.... fussing and muttering and worrying all the way.  

Any moment I could be away from cyborging was spent trying to cut, fuss, finesse and build as best of a replica as I could.  I have now also caulked all the seams of the beast I created and will paint it.  It *should* fit, and it looks pretty similar.  I hope I can get it up and in place and adequately sealed in the next day or two as we are having a warm spell with highs in the low 60s the next two days.  Cutting crown molding is so damn frustrating and difficult but I did get reasonably good outer corners on the beast as well.  I was actually surprised.  The angles are complex and my modest tools do not help matters.  And, my general all around frumpy, uncoordinated self is no Bob Villa.  

But, if I can get it up and positioned, it should look a reasonable facsimile.... and protect the real important stuff of the windows and walls.  

It felt really odd to not have a pipe while I worked.... I always have traditionally had several to help me cope with the fussing and finessing type of work I have attempted like this in the past.  

PipeTobacco 



4 Comments:

Blogger David P. said...

you're lucky you didn't have to submit the altered fascia to an architectural or historical control board for your community. Some NE towns have very strict rules about changing the outside appearance of any part of a home or building.

Wednesday, 04 November, 2020  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am impressed.

Thursday, 05 November, 2020  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Commendable!!! Sounds to me as if you'll have every reason to be delighted with the result.

Thursday, 05 November, 2020  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

wow...so impressed...

Thursday, 05 November, 2020  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home