The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, November 24, 2021

98

 

Today is my Dad's birthday.  If he were alive, he would now be 98 years old.  I miss being able to talk with him.  There are so many cherished memories I have.  But, mostly I like, miss and remember just being around him, both as a young child, and into adulthood.  He was a great guy and a wonderful Dad.  Mesothelioma took away his life, and was induced by the many years he had been exposed to asbestos.  The primary, massive exposures occurred during the years he was a welder working to build a variety of heat-resistant chambers and boilers.  These massive, room-sized structures were lined with asbestos.  I have looked through the scientific literature and the knowledge of the hazards of asbestos were known since the 1920s.  

If I could....

  • I would love to have at least a few more hours to talk with him.
  • I would love to again smoke at least a few more pipes with him.
  • I would relish going to eat at least a few more chili dogs with him.    
  • I would very much enjoy having at least one more long, car ride with him.  He was one of the most steady and patient drivers I have ever had the pleasure to be in a vehicle with. 
PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

My dad's birthday is the week before Christmas. He has been gone over 19 years now. What I miss most is his memory of what happened when. There is only one of his compatriots left to ask and I'm not good at that.

Wednesday, 24 November, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

Happy Birthday to your dad! He sounds like a wonderful person. I miss my dad every day. He died in March and there's already been so much I'd want to share with him.

Wednesday, 24 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Sadly, my dad passed away now almost 28 years ago.

PipeTobacco

Wednesday, 24 November, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

You are part of the Church Militant, and he is part of the Church Triumphant, so although you've been apart for 28 years you are also still intimately close through your faith. You know this, Professor.

And I think he would approve of you smoking your pipe in his memory, but that's a milestone for you to set in your own way at your own time, not necessarily on his birthday -- however honoring of him that might be. For now, I am just so glad that he remains a cherished and happy memory. Despite his physical absence, he is clearly a happy and vital part of your present life. And that's wonderful.

Wednesday, 24 November, 2021  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

Your dad would of been born in 1923, same year as my mom. Although her birthdate was Sept 16.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Wednesday, 24 November, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

That asbestos was terrible stuff.

Thursday, 25 November, 2021  
Blogger MRMacrum said...

That you wish you had had more time with him is the kindest memory of all. I too, feel the same way about my dad.

Saturday, 27 November, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home