The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Retrograde

 Today was a really odd day.  I felt utterly unprepared for U work, but there was no real need to feel that way.  Both my lecture and lab courses were straight forward, and my lecture went quite smoothly, where I was focusing on discussing and describing the embryonic development of the neural tube as it divides and differentiates into the adult central nervous system (brain and spinal cord).  


I also had NUMEROUS autonomic reflexes where I would reach into my jacket pocket, shirt pocket, or onto my desk in a way to grab my pipe as if I were to pick it up for smoking as I had done for so much of my life.  It is strange to have these happen, as it has been so long since I have had those semi-rote actions be a part of my day-to-day activities.  And, it wasn’t as if I were having especially strong yearnings to smoke my pipes.  I mean….. it was not a deep yearning desire.  I admit I still always would be interested and like to smoke my pipes.  That does not seem to ever change.  But, these pipe reaching patterns just returned out of the blue so to speak while I am just doing my normal work today.  


Such a strangely odd day overall.  


PipeTobacco 

3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Maybe it's like having a dream of someone close with whom you've lost contact.

Tuesday, 16 November, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

Were you feeling on "automatic pilot" for the lecture and the reaching for the pipe was part of that reflex?

Tuesday, 16 November, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

I have to say...My heart warms a bit whenever I hear you speak of your pipe, Professor. Seems a integral part of your persona.

Wednesday, 17 November, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home