The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 11, 2021

Presbyopia


 

I sent the notice to the student who cheated that she regrettably earned a "0" for this exam. I also explained how no grade is worth the loss of one's integrity and that also using the Disability Services Office as a mechanism to do this denigrates the importance and value of the Disability Services Office for students who truly do have need for specialized accommodations.  We shall see what transpires further.

* * * * * 

I am carrying around a lovely pipe with me again today.  I feel I need the modest comfort it provides to me.  It is almost akin to having a pacifier, I guess.  But, today, experiencing just those ever so tiny, ghostly hints of the pipe tobacco I had indulged in with this pipe is making me feel some level of comfort.  I do also have to admit it is revving up my deep desire to begin smoking again, so perhaps it is a double edged sword of sorts.  But, I really need the modest comfort today, I truly do.

* * * * * 

The etiology of the healing of my battered body is interesting to me:

1.  Immediately after the fall and tumble, I lay sprawled on the parking lot pavement assessing the pain, specifically thinking through a)  Did I hit my head? (no), b) Did I slam down on one or both knees? (both), c) Although the pain is fierce in my right knee, is it a bone or ligament that has been broken or torn?  (It took me a few minutes to assess... I had to let the pain subside a bit before I tried to move my leg without putting any weight bearing force on it..... but ultimately.... I figured out that no bones were broken and no ligaments were torn.)  I basically paid no attention to my elbow, figuring it was just scrapped up.  

2.  I had ran about 4 miles when I tripped and fell.  When I finally got up, and was done cursing on the bench for a bit, I started to run the final 6 or so miles after the fall, I started out somewhat gingerly as my knee was still feeling a lot of pain, but over the first additional mile, the pain began to dissipate and I was back up to nearly my normal speed of running  (roughly 7 mph (11.5 kph)) by the time I hit the next mile.  When I was finished with the 10 total miles, my leg felt 95% normal.  But I knew that was an illusion.  

3.  By the time I arrived at the U, my knee was feeling a bit achy and stiff.  I took one asprin.  My knee remained achy and stiff the rest of the day, but I expected that.  

4.  Tuesday was the worst.  As I predicted it would, my knee became a bit swollen by Monday evening.  Again, I anticipated it.... but the swelling was far less than the swelling I had occur in my knee when I had a similar damnable tripping accident  at the latter part of Spring.  But, upon awakening the swelling was still there, so I started slowly on my run.... and in fact because of the severe frost and the potential for slippery spots, I chose to run on the abominable treadmill.  I slowly worked up to normal speed and completed the 10 miles (~16 km) and at that time my knee felt fine.  But, again, I know how this goes.... by the time I arrived at the U, the stiffness and ache had returned and were stronger than on Monday... especially when climbing flights of stairs.

5.  Today.... pretty much the same..... sore and slightly swollen this morning, but after running my 10 miles, I felt fine.  And, now as the day has progressed, only a small amount of the stiffness and ache has returned.  I predict on Friday that any pain or discomfort will be minimal and by Saturday I will not notice anything amiss.... other than kneeling when at Mass.  That often takes 2-3 weeks to before it is not uncomfortable.  There is something about the pressure points when kneeling that seems to perfectly align with where I strike my patella (knee caps) when I do fall.     

* * * * *

I was thinking about television sitcoms today.  Not sure why.  While I have watched MANY sitcoms over the course of my life, and there are MANY enjoyable ones.... there are THREE sitcoms that I would consider the best ones to elicit uproarious laughter from me:

"I Love Lucy" - the immortal classic.  Even today, nearly 70 years later, damn near every episode will cause me laugh-out-loud sorts of laughter.  

"The Dick Van Dyke Show" - too wonderful beyond words.  Featuring to distinctly different environments both equally uproariously funny to me....  a)  the home life, with Mary Tyler Moore (in her most amazing beauty) portraying Dick's wife, and b) the office life, with Morey Amsterdam and Rose Marie..... two comedians worth their weight in gold. 

"Seinfeld" - the perfect absurdist comedy.  Even though only a neophyte 30 years old.... I do not think there is a single episode (sans the Finale) that will not have me rolling on the floor with laughter.  

Again, do not get me wrong.... there are a lot of good comedies I have watched over the years that I LIKE..... but none are of the quality of "I Love Lucy", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", nor "Seinfeld". These three would receive an "A" from me.  

 A few others off the top of my head that I have liked (and would probably rank a "B" grade include:

1. Make Room for Daddy (probably a "B+")

2.  Father Knows Best

3.  Leave it to Beaver

4.  The Patty Duke Show

5.  Green Acres (probably a "B+")

6.  That Girl

7.  Family Affair (mostly for the delight of watching Sebastian Cabot)

8.  The Lucy Show  (probably a "B+")

9.  The Lucille Ball Show

10.  Brady Bunch

11.  Partridge Family

12.  Mary Tyler Moore Show  (probably a "B+")

13.  Sanford & Son

14.  All in the Family

15.  Chico and the Man

16.  Maude

17.  Rhoda

18.  Alf

19.  The Cosby Show

20.  Big Bang Theory (probably a "B+")

Of course, I have seen many other sitcoms as well.... but most others were, to me, average, at best.  (Perhaps a "C" or "D" grade).    

I would like to hear what you think of my list... and would like to hear what you think are the best situation comedies.  

PipeTobacco

14 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

I'm glad that your knee is following the normal chain of events, so it will heal in a predictable way. Carrying around the pipe for comfort seems like a good solution to some of your stress. I'll be interested to see what the student responds. I love your top three, especially Seinfeld. I don't remember much about the Dick van Dyke show except that I enjoyed it. As for the big list, I loved the ridiculousness of "Alf" and enjoyed the others except The Big Bang Theory. I would add both Bob Newhart shows, especially the first one. For me, it was laugh out loud funny. I love Newhart's dry sense of humor.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger Pat M. said...

I see you aren't letting pipes weigh in on your ratings, as My Three Sons and Gidget might then show up with excellent ratings. And while I don't recall any pipes, the rest of your list makes me wonder whether you enjoyed the absurdist slapstick humor of the six TV episodes of Police Squad.

It's remarkable that you can keep up your disciplined running schedule despite such an injury. Glad you aren't committed to daily Mass!

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Unfortunately, work at the U has precluded my wish to attend daily Mass….. but it has been a sheer delight to watch and listen to the recorded Capuchin Daily Mass that has been available since a little bit into the pandemic. I have been typically watching all five daily Masses each week for quite a while now since I discovered them. Sometimes the Capuchins make a mistake and there recoding does not occur or does not function, but that typically has happened only 3-4 times a month. The Capuchins are wonderful and amazing fellows and I feel fortunate to get to hear their wisdom.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I did watch plenty of My Three Sons and also Gidget and while the pipe smoking was valuable….. to me at least, the writing humor did not strike me as being as strong as the 23 above shows.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Alf, IMO WAS pretty amazing! From the premise, I would NEVER have imagined it being as strong and comedically written as it was. I used to have an stuffed “Alf” that sat on my desk in my office during the show’s heyday. :)

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger Street Writer. said...

I always enjoyed Taxi and The Odd Couple.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I should have added The Odd Couple to my list of 20!

Taxi….. I liked and also WKRP in Cincinatti, and Barney Miller too….. but probably more in the “B-“ range in terms of humor for me.

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

A few “C” range comedies worth mentioning:

Good Times
What’s Happening
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle USMC

In each of the above….. the COMEDY in my opinion was only rather average….. but they are still noteworthy for having very interesting characters.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I would also add “Welcome Back Kotter” to the “C” group above….. comedy is rather average….. but the characters were quite interesting.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger E. Rosewater said...

you need to expand your horizons and watch "father ted".

father ted will entertain you royally and give you a new outlook on life.

Thursday, 11 November, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I have to admit that I didn't know the word, etiology, although I am sure I have seen it.

I would nudge the Mary Tyler Moore show up there with your other three, and many would place All in the Family on top. I think you missed Fraser, which would rank at least a B+ IMO. There is also Cheers, which also ranks highly. Mind you, I am impressed that you could generate such an impressive list. I can't work from scratch like that.

I like seeing Cabot and knew his name right off and could also name the show. I also remembered his character to be Mr French although I had to look it up to make sure I was remembering correctly.

Oh ... Mash would be right up there too. Bewitched was fun. Now I am remembering The Beverly Hillbillies and My favorite Martian. I did not necessarily watch all of these a lot, but it surprises my how much I did watch over the years.

Oh, I see you have added others in you comments. Good job.

Friday, 12 November, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Oh, Vicar of Dibley was a hilarious British comedy.

Friday, 12 November, 2021  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Yes….. both Frazier and Cheers should be in my “B” group for certain. MASH too. And Bewitched.

A few more “C” level comedies worth mentioning not because the humor was great….. but because the characters were very interesting….. Monkees, Gilligan’s Island, Munsters, & Adams Family.

Friday, 12 November, 2021  
Blogger GaP said...

STILL GAME. About a group of Glasgow pensioners navigating the ageing process. You'll even learn some broad Glaswegian in the process.

Monday, 15 November, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home