The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, November 09, 2021

BAM!


 

It all took about 1-2 seconds from start to finish.

I was out running at 4:45am, and with the overcast sky, it was pitch black out.  I know to be careful on the sidewalks, and so I ended up getting to the trail safely.  The trail also, is pitch black at this time of morning.  So, as is my pattern, I ran the two or so miles down the trail and then I worked my way into a very large parking lot that when I run its circumference is roughly 1/2 mile of distance.  Parking lots are not particularly fun to run it.... but at this time of year.... they have one very, very valuable thing.... they are lit with parking lot lamps.  

So, I thought I was free and clear.... I was in the lighted parking lot and could run a bunch of vacuous circles to get in my distance.  I hit mile 4, when....... BAM!   I tumbled forward and landed on my knees and elbows.

Damn, it hurt like hell!  I cursed so, so many, many words I normally do not say.  I became angry again at God for this fall, and also for all the crap I have been going through as of late.  

The parking lot had recently been repaved.  There was one small area where a wooden post had been planted in the parking lot long, long ago.  This post had been sawn off quite a while ago, but because it is wood, it swelled up a bit (perhaps an inch or so above the rest of the parking lot surface).   Until the repaving, it was easy to spot because it was wood colored.  But, in the repaving, it became black like the rest of the asphalt, and I somehow did not see it when I was running... but my damn toe caught the edge of it, causing my tumble.   

I got up, sat on a nearby bench and cursed for another 10 minutes or so until most of the immediate pain in my knee subsided.  Then I got up, and finished the remaining six miles I needed to stay on track.  

My right knee is a bit swollen, both knees are scabbed, and both of my elbows are scabbed as well.

I VERY MUCH would like to have a pipe for solace right now.  Stupid, yes... but it is what I would like.

PipeTobacco   

5 Comments:

Blogger Pat M. said...

If you won't allow yourself a pipe right now (quite understandably), surely you can treat yourself to your favorite adult beverage, maybe a nice single-malt Scotch whiskey? And perhaps some time in a hot tub of some sort? Now is a really good time to pamper yourself a bit more than you usually allow yourself, Professor!

Tuesday, 09 November, 2021  
Blogger Margaret said...

Ice and heat and anti-inflammatory. Not what you needed at all! :(

Tuesday, 09 November, 2021  
Blogger Unknown said...

What you would like right now is not stupid at all. God has given you your pipes and tobaccos; how can you curse Him for that?

Tuesday, 09 November, 2021  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Don't think of it as cursing but as speaking in tongues. I know it is not a normal Catholic thing (and shouldn't be normal for anyone, I guess).

Now, go and buy yourself one of these. They are very light and rechargeable vis USB. https://www.bioliteenergy.com/products/headlamp-750?variant=33014510682211

Tuesday, 09 November, 2021  
Blogger BBC said...

Apparently god looked down, shrugged his shoulders, flicked the ash off his joint and took another hit.

Wednesday, 10 November, 2021  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home