The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 17, 2022

I Feel Defeated

 Fortunately, the person whom I do not talk about anymore arrived back with my wife's vehicle ~2:30am.... and even more fortunately, the weather change from rain to ice ended up not begining until ~4:00am.  

The ice and now snow that we received and the snow we are continuing to receive caused the U to delay opening itself up this morning until noon.  This means one of my lectures has been cancelled, yet one will need to occur.  It is easier to have either the whole day cancelled or the whole day run as scheduled.  Yet, this "half approach" is what the "powers-that-be" have decided.  So, I got up, ran my 11 miles, drove very carefully to the U in what was/are damnably difficult and dangerous roadways.... at my usual time... and am now planning to a) prepare for my one lecture that will occur, and b) start the process of altering and adjusting course materials (including an exam that *was* scheduled for early next week but will either have to be rewritten or postponed) and then notifying students of the changes.  

So, I actually have more work (more busy-work, that is not the same sort of fun that lecturing can be) ahead of me today than was in my original docket.  And, I get to look forward to a shoveling session upon return home for the evening.  

I feel rather defeated.  Since Tuesday, this has been a draining, taxing, and tiring week.  Please believe me that I have been trying to "shake-it-off" through several methods.  But, so far, I have not found the right route to freedom from my malaise.  

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

It is February in the north. We lack both light and weather. Maybe you have SAD. It could be natural with nothing to be done except yo be kind to yourself and maybe doing something out of the ordinary, which is not easy in times like these. Can you go our for dinner?

Thursday, 17 February, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

Sometimes the comfort is in the effort. You don't accomplish the "shaking off" but you know you're trying. Glad the car and person got home safely. I didn't realize that the person was living with you. Mine is too for the moment. We're getting along OK but not our two cats. :(

Thursday, 17 February, 2022  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

maybe meditation?

Thursday, 17 February, 2022  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

The person is not currently living with us. The person came over to borrow the car. At 2:30 the person returned to our house and drove to where this person is staying in the old vehicle this person has.

PipeTobacco

Thursday, 17 February, 2022  
Blogger Tom Cochrun said...

I understand those weather related hassles all too well. They seem to be accumulative in their negative power. Extended winter months exacerbate. Before we moved from the mid-west to the central California coast I found myself frequently listening to or singing Paul Simon's April, Come She Will.

Thursday, 17 February, 2022  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I'm sorry you feeling defeated. Sound like you could use a mental health break. Or I like to call it a me break.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Thursday, 17 February, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home