The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, May 16, 2022

Ok.


 

The weekend was generally "better" than was Friday.  My wife and I went SWIMMING together.  We were able to go at a time where there was few folks there (only three other people besides the life guard) so we felt "relatively" Covid safe.  

We also decided to see an afternoon film at the theater (with masks on)!  We watched "Jayeshbhai Jordaar" which is an Indian (Hindi-language) dramedy.  If the term "dramedy" is too old school, because I am not sure if folks use that term anymore.... it is a film that is a mix of both comedy and drama.  

Both my wife and thoroughly enjoyed this film!  We both awarded it an "A" grade!  Bollywood films are so often very fresh and interesting and exciting.  In the following, I have linked to a YouTube video of one of the songs in this film, and also to the official movie trailer.  Each video gives you a nice (albeit a bit stylized) impression of the film:

"Firecracker" theme song of the film Jayeshbhai Jordaar

Jayeshbhai Jordaar official movie trailer

The film has some over-the-top comedy moments, but is also a very heartwarming story of family and love and kindness.  It is a truly feel-good film.  I was especially excited to see it on opening weekend.  We do not often get Bollywood films on their official release weekend!

* * * * * 

This morning, I decided to push myself, and I ran 17 miles (~27.5 km).... a new record for me in a single run.  I am a bit tired, but pretty damn happy that I was able to do this.  I am drinking an especially large amount of water today to draw out any lactic acid buildup that may have occurred from this new, longer distance.  And, I also allowed myself one asprin tablet when I arrived at the U. 

I happened to be walking across campus this morning, when a fellow professor who I haven't seen in a few years (he is in Economics, which is way-the-hell diametrically opposed to where my habitat is on campus, and he is no longer on the committee we were both involved in where I would regularly see him) "recognized" me.  He seemed startled/amazed at big/bushy beard and mustache and was saying he didn't recognize me at first.  He liked the "bushier" look and then asked how my wife likes it.  I grinned, and said that she "tolerates" it.  

I still do find it funny.... I have worn a beard for many decades.  And, as I have mentioned here before, neither my wife nor kids have ever seen me without a beard/mustache.  In fact, I think now.... that perhaps the only two LIVING folks who HAVE seen me without my beard/mustache are  my two sisters.  But, for most of those decades, I did keep it rather short (probably between 3/4 inch to 1 inch).  Apparently, the "bigger" look, however, is much more noticeable/noteworthy.  

* * * * * 

I spent a bit of time perusing some pipe shops online when I was feeling glum on Friday.  I was feeling quite a desire to buy one particular Dublin shaped pipe I saw.  And, at another site, I was looking at some of the pipe tobacco blends that they had.  One was was especially intriguing to me.  It was called Peter's Pleasure and was described as "made from the flue-cured tobaccos of Zimbabwe and Malawi, with the addition of Black Cavendish and mild Burley tobaccos. Fruit and vanilla flavoring awaken this mild bend’s outstanding taste and aroma."  The idea of trying tobacco from Zimbabwe and/or Malawi was very exciting.  And the mixture of some fruit and vanilla flavorings.... it makes me want to order a few ounces.  

Yet, it seems foolish as hell to buy a pipe or some pipe tobacco when I am currently refraining from smoking my own very abundant array of pipes and pipe tobaccos.  So, I am kind of feeling like a schmo about this, but I really would like to order one or both items (especially the pipe tobacco).  I do not know what I will do however.

PipeTobacco

 

2 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I need to repeat this every now and again. It’s just that I am boggled by your body’s ability to take that pounding and never seem to complain. You’re not the only one of course, but it is also pretty rare.

Monday, 16 May, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

You are Professor Hipster with that big beard, like a guy I'd see in Portland or Seattle. Glad you got to swim and see a film. My daughter has made me watch some Indian films but they haven't been funny. "The Namesake?" It was excellent but sad.

Monday, 16 May, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home