The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, May 13, 2022

Sour

I am unfortunately in a bit of a sour frame of mind at the moment.  I am thinking my frame of mind is a result of this week proceeding in a different fashion than I had envisioned.  

With me transitioning into the Summer sessions at the U, I typically have the expectation that things quiet down a bit.  I am teaching less, there are fewer students about, the parking lots are more sparsely populated, and just in general the U is quieter and calmer.  Do not get me wrong, I like the hustle and bustle of the normal semesters as well, but it is always a nice reprieve to have a period that is more subdued.  

Campus IS more quiet, so that is as expected.  But, at the same time, I also look forward to this time of the year to be generally more relaxed and allowing of a bit more "play".  My wife and I both were thinking we were going to be able to spend considerably more time together this week.  Unfortunately, the opposite has occurred.... A) my wife's work had several unexpected add-on meetings throughout the week, B) as you know from my earlier post this week, we were both feeling a lot of emotional after-effects from the less than stellar Mother's Day, and C) my own, planned-for classroom preparation went more slowly than I had hoped.  All-in-all.... the week has felt like a constant barrage of unremitting pressure.... and for far too many days this week, my wife and I did not get a chance to sit down and relax (and eat) with each other till after 9pm in the evening.  This sort of schedule is not conducive to having a feeling of "togetherness" or of relaxation, nor of a gleeful, "romantic-comedy-esque" sort of  happy ending to the week.  Instead, it just feels lonely.  

I am *trying* to keep a stiff upper lip (which you cannot see to confirm, because my upper lip is hidden under my mustache) about the whole thing.  I am hoping and anticipating that we will get to spend more time together this weekend and next week as well.  But right now, I feel lonely, blah, and uninspired.  I even tried to buoy my spirits for a while this morning, by daydreaming about smoking my pipes and pipe tobaccos.... but to no avail.... there was no change in my spirit.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am blah too despite a somewhat better sleep last night. It just wasn't enough to catch up. Thanks for the water advice. Something helped. Perhaps that was it.

Friday, 13 May, 2022  
Blogger Margaret said...

I often find times of transition to be more stressful and different than what I've envisioned. I hope that you get to spend more time with your wife in the subsequent weeks.

Friday, 13 May, 2022  
Blogger billy pilgrim said...

get a honda scooter! i'm back on the road for the summer and it really picks up my spirits bombing around town looking for fertilizer for my "special" garden.

Friday, 13 May, 2022  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Oh my, we are in bed by 9 these days! Definitely too late to sit down and enjoy a meal together. Hope you manage to find time soon to just be together.

Monday, 16 May, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home