The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Argh!!!!


 

The whirlwind of chaos has befallen upon me.  Too, too many things all converging at once in a chaotic non-pattern that is unpredictable at best:

  • It MAY be that my mother-in-law will be moving into her assisted living apartment on Friday.
  • It MAY be that she may move in on Saturday.
  • It MAY be that she will not be moving in for several days.
  • Thus far, my wife has received extremely MINIMAL help in regards to the logistics of this impending move from her siblings.  
  • My wife is going to my MIL's house today to talk with her about what to pack initially (and this will likely have my MIL become very angry/emotional, as she likely may not recall the last several times we have talked about this).
  • Adjunct instructors I am working with have become EXTREMELY needy and a BIT pushy about things.  They are not neophytes, they know the plan.  Just because I am NOT wholly focused on getting the particular course they participate in up to 100% perfection at the moment (I have five courses I am working on).  They need to be PATIENT.  I want to "grump" at them (or worse), but I will hold my tongue.
  • A lot more meetings are scheduled today for me in the grand "Back to School" tradition.  These meetings are mostly pomp and hyperbole.... and are not helpful when most of us faculty just want to be making sure everything is up to snuff for next week.  
  • Speaking of meetings, the "adjuncts" I spoke of in the above have been clamoring for a meeting (we had one last week but they want another one).  I proposed one time that I could work.... 3/4ths said they could not meet then.  From what they said, I proposed a different time for tomorrow that MIGHT work if I do not have to help with moving my MIL.  One already bailed on that meeting even though she had previously said it was ok.  
  • My dog has her haircut appointment for tomorrow.  Unfortunately, it is not a task that is able to be rescheduled.  The groomer has appointments set out for three months in advance, so if we cancelled, our dog would not be able to get back in until the end of November and this would be very rough for her.... she NEEDS a haircut.  
  • I need to get a specific plan up and published to my research students.  This means assigning them to specific research projects, working through the U bureaucracy to get the new folks appropriate traditional key and electronic key access to research spaces, and to get this all rolling so that they may start generating data.  
  • Because of all the stress related to my MIL, my wife is completely off plan as far as her Type 2 Diabetes is concerned, so her glucose levels are sky high even with her medications.  This adds several levels of stress for me as well..... worry (it is not healthy to do this), anxiety (worry that she will develop more problematic symptoms) , and actually some frustration as well.... for by the time we get to spend some quiet time together, usually later in the evening (say ~9:00pm) she has fallen asleep (a common occurrence  in people with poorly regulated Type 2 due to high glucose levels).  It in effect shuts down the little bit of time we have to spend together, because she is not mentally/emotionally present.  

I am sure there is a boatload of things I have forgotten that should be on the list above too.  But, those are the ones that come to my mind the most incessantly.

  • I only ran 10.2 miles (~16 km) this morning.    
  • PCS = still at a damn 9.  It is so hard, and I am so close to saying "to hell with it" and just doing whatever I feel like.
PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Argghh is the perfect title. You have TOO much on your plate right now, my friend. Much of it is (unfortunately) out of your control. The pipes aren't--so would it help to have one? As I've mentioned before, if it would make you feel guilty afterward, it would be a sort of Pyrrhic victory. I feel for you on the meetings and trying to reach consensus on a meeting date. I've been there and wanted to scream. Or say ARGGHH or an even stronger word.

Thursday, 25 August, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I expect that once you get your MIL sorted or closer to it, your wife will get more in control. Self-discipline is very hard for some. You, however, do not seem be be one of those people.

Thursday, 25 August, 2022  
Blogger Pat M. said...

With all your talk of worries, I'm worried that you may have forgotten how to be truly relaxed and happy, Professor!

Trying, though, to picture what might be you at your happiest, the best I can come up with is picturing you in your backyard, playing "fetch" with your dog while enjoying a pipe.

Running is necessary and valuable. Workplace organization is necessary and valuable. Family priorities are necessary and valuable. But can you find room in your busy life for something as simple and and relaxed and pleasant as relaxing with a pipe while enjoying your dog's goofy smile? Even if I don't have the particulars quite right, I hope you can find some room in your life for the simple pleasures, as far distant from worry and self-criticism as you can put yourself. Take care of yourself, Professor!

Friday, 26 August, 2022  
Blogger Forsythia said...

Wow. There's way too much on your plate right now! I wish I could help you in a tangible way. I can only say "Hang in there" as best you can. Maintain your routines and your sense of humor. The other things will resolve themselves one way or another.

Saturday, 27 August, 2022  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

My mother in law went into a senior apartment and I would visit her and others who was there. They had plenty to talk about.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Saturday, 27 August, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home