The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, November 03, 2022

Cannon Canon


Even though I was TIRED late last night, I WASN'T sleepy, so when my wife decided to head to bed, I knew that mentally I was likely needing to stay up or I would toss-and-turn for quite a spell.  So, I watched a recording of one of my very favorite of several very favorite "old-time" (Bah, to me they seem as fresh and fun now, as they were during their initial run... which TO ME, wasn't all that long ago.) television programs..... Cannon

The episode was one I do nor remember seeing.  It was called "Press Pass to the Slammer!" and it was utterly fun and wonderful.  It involved a newspaper reporter (played by Marlyn Mason) who was going to be thrown in jail because she refused to reveal her source for information she new about a murder.  And the episode even had a minor role for one of my favorite character actors, Stuart Margolin (he was "the source")!  Of course, as the lead.... William Conrad was (as always) great in the episode as well! 

Seeing all the beautiful and sometimes odd vehicles of the early 1970s.... especially in pristine condition.... was also wonderful!  Even though I think it would feel incredibly odd to drive a big behemoth car like Cannon's Lincoln today.... it is fun to remember when those giants were the norm in terms of size.  

* * * * * 

  • Ran..... can you guess??.... I ran 11 miles today (~18 km).
  • PCS = can you guess??..... A "7" again today.  Strangely enough, the yearnings I feel today..... just as strong as they have been the last several days..... but the yearning feels almost "pleasant" if that is the right word.  Odd.  But, I am wondering if watching Cannon and seeing the bygone era footage of him smoking and talking about pipe smoking in just an everyday, casual sense has helped pipe smoking as it used to be.... feel again more present.... TODAY.  The way the "yearning" I am experiencing feels today, is akin to how it would feel when it would be a Friday and I was planning on visiting with my Father-In-Law late in the day..... on some of those Fridays, I would PURPOSEFULLY refrain from smoking my pipes during the day on Friday, so that when I would then do so while visiting my Father-In-Law later in the day, they would feel more beautiful and more impactful (along with a pleasantly stiff drink in my paw as well).  Today's feeling is akin to that.
  • I am organizing myself for a helluva lot of work I hope to get done tomorrow.  If I can be productive, it may be a pleasantly quiet weekend.  
  • Pat's comment yesterday suggesting I toss my pipes and pipe tobaccos caused me to shudder at the thought.  I do not think that really could ever be an option.  They are my history, and some are a part of my family heritage (pipes I have from my Dad and Grandfather).  I am also unsure (unconvinced perhaps) that my PCS would decline in any appreciable sense simply by tossing my pipes.
  • My friend who goes by "Unknown" suggests I have accomplished "introspection and growth" during my period of refraining.  I am not sure if that is correlated though to my not smoking my pipes.  I (for better or worse) tend to be a rather damnably introspective guy.   I tend to think I am similarly introspective now as to how I have been through my entire life.  If there is one thing I can recognize that is different since I began to refrain...... it is that in some sense..... colors do not seem..... do not FEEL as vivid and vibrant as they did.  I know that really is illogical, but it does feel like I am in an environment with less vivid colors.

Sincerely,

 PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Life is dimmer when you don't have something to look forward to, an activity that you associate with positive feelings, relaxation and lack of stress. Unlike you, I've been mostly disappointed in watching shows that I used to love. It's enjoyable to see the clothes, hair styles, cars, etc. but I haven't enjoyed them as much as I thought I would. I don't know why. It's obviously I who have changed.

Thursday, 03 November, 2022  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Oh my! That was so long ago. Can you at least watch it sans commercials. I had JJ’s hockey game last night, and then I watched the Canadiens at home whilst also editing some of the pics from JJ’s game. I slept well enough when the time came, albeit a bit later than usual.

Friday, 04 November, 2022  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

You can't beat some of the old television programmes.

Saturday, 05 November, 2022  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home