The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, February 10, 2023

I Had....

 


 

.... so many things I had wanted to write/talk about here today.  But, work got the better of me.  A large array of emotionally needy students have been knocking on my office door all day.  I have been creating a schedule of events for one of the research meetings I am going to relatively soon, and as I happen to be a section chair... I have to organize the order of the research talks and presentations in my section.     

I do not know if I have ever mentioned this before.... but I damn well HATE and DESPISE Excel.  Somehow, no matter what I *think* and believe is the appropriate and correct methods to use while working with that vile program,  every damn time.... it seems the cells in that program have a damn mind of their own and do as they damn well please.   I make a damnable column of numbers, but every once in a while, one of the damn numbers will align on the opposite side of a cell from others in the same column.  And, when sometimes entering damnable text into a cell, sometimes it will extend beyond the cell in a trail for however long it may need, but other damn times for NO IDENTIFIABLE reason the text will simply start a new line within the cell (like happens when you type in a word processor.  None of what Excel does makes any damn sense and I despise every moment I am forced to use that damn program.

I do not have enough energy to do any more.  I still have to go clean up my lab some, before I head home.  

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I can use Excel but only on a basic level. Don’t ask me what a pivot table is. 😀

Friday, 10 February, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

Excel hater here as well!

Friday, 10 February, 2023  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

My today blog post is a small paragraph.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Friday, 10 February, 2023  
Blogger Pam J. said...

I'm late to this party but last night I heard an interview with author Matt Parker who's written a book called Humble Pi about math errors, in particular those caused by Excel spreadsheets. A lot of industry and government reports, in the UK and elsewhere, have reported misinformation because of human error in using Excel but also b/c of inherent quirks of MS that introduce errors. His nonfiction book is both amusing and illuminating. I too hate Excel but use it regularly because I need to.

Thursday, 16 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home