The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, February 09, 2023

Run


 

Run:

  • 11.6 miles (~19km) so, tomorrow can be a short run and I can still meet my weekly goal.  Perhaps I will try to push the pace tomorrow to make the short run faster?  I probably should do this, because I could become potentially a stronger runner if I did work to improve my speed. 
  • "Run & Hide" is a motto I would LIKE TO TRY to employ today, as I have posted ~220 or so grades for my various classes' 1st Lecture Exam of the semester.  This typically means I will have a percentage (perhaps ~5-10%, or ~10-20 students) wanting desperately to see me to "discuss"... often with tears... how they could NOT have "gotten" the score they did on the exam.... usually.... with statements such as.... "I am a straight "A" student (usually Freshmen say this, having never had a college class before"... or "I cannot have gotten a "D" or "F", it is impossible, I studied SO HARD!!!!"... or "I cannot get "variable choices of grade here" grade because it will affect my (scholarship or ability to play their sport or get admission to whichever program)."    Of course, I will NOT hide away, but will instead steel my shoulders and gird my loins.... to prepare for this onslaught that always happens after the 1st exam.  I will then try to (as gently as I can muster) show them some of their errors, guide them on how to more strongly prepare for the next exam, and usually examine their notes to show them where they were not taking notes of sufficient depth.  Fortunately, many do take my guidance and DO improve.  A few, however, continue on this downward slope. 
  • At the track this morning, one of the regulars, a lady who walks at the track and is perhaps a decade and a half or so my junior, jokingly said to me that she could "hear me" coming up behind her, and I waved "Hello" as I passed and said "Yes, I am sure my running sounded like a Clydesdale hoofing around!"  She laughed as did I.  

I have a huge day of lecturing too, today, so I had better let it go at this, this morning.  PCS = 8 again.... I was daydreaming about beautiful pipes of the past I had while I ran.... but only after I finished the rosary, of course.  There was not a new Capuchin Mass to listen to today, so I let my mind drift.  I am glad to have the track in the Winter, but I also look forward to being back outside come Spring, like the fellow in the photo.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Is the photo a hint that you have trimmed your own beard like the fellow in the photo? Or are you still sporting long hair reminiscent of the bushy white legs of a Clydesdale? :-)

Thursday, 09 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Those kids are getting a little dose of reality. Have fun.

Thursday, 09 February, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

I know my daughter doesn't miss the whole college grading kerfuffle and the unhappy students who did little but are puzzled/angry about their low grade.

Thursday, 09 February, 2023  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

No, no trimming of my beard & mustache has occurred. But my beard and mustache are very curly, so it has not grown “long” like a wizard-style beard….. but instead is quite “bushy”…. Growing outward in all directions…. Often defying gravity. :) My wife comments that it does not seem to move, even in gale force winds. :)

Thursday, 09 February, 2023  
Blogger The Blog Fodder said...

My friend Ed (65) runs 10 miles a day, summer and winter. even in -40 and windy. No desire to imitate.
My daughter has the same problems with students when exam marks are posted as you do and she is only a few years into her career. Can I assure her it doesn't change over time?

Thursday, 09 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home