The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, February 03, 2023

A Bit Better

 

I am feeling a "bit" better today, which is a relief.  Yesterday was not enjoyable.  

  • I am still hurt, annoyed, worried, aggravated, angry about the thing I can no longer talk about here but mentioned in passing yesterday.  But, I have gritted my teeth and today have tried to the best of my ability to "let it go" because I cannot control the damn poor choices of that...  which I can no longer talk about.
  • It is frigidly cold now in my region.  The wind chills are...  quite a bit below zero (~ -15 to -20 F) (for my Canadian friends.... ~ - 25 to -30 C).  
  • 11 miles ran today (~18 km).
  • PCS = 8..... it seems (other than during the few days where I felt ill) that I have been at a rather persistent (stable?) PCS score since before Thanksgiving.  

An interesting Wall Street Journal article came across my computer maybe a week or so ago, and it was entitled "A Happy Memory Can Help You Fall Asleep, if You Know How to Use It".   And, it described a technique called "savoring" where you try to relive in your mind, a happy experience in great detail.  

I am thinking the above "savoring" technique is quite valid and true, and I think I may have been employing this technique even without having a name to give the technique.  Ever since I have been purposefully reliving pleasant pipe smoking memories while I lay down to sleep..... I have really had no issues with falling asleep.  The one time I had a bout of insomnia in the recent past was when I had spent hours staying up very late (~4:00am) working on some intensive work-related thinking tasks.  When I then went to bed, I was tossing and turning..... tossing and turning for quite a while.  This persisted even as I I diligently tried to force my mind to be quiet!  Yet, I finally decided, since I was awake to "go with the flow" and use the time to remember happier times.  And, almost instantly I started to produce "Zzzzzzzz's".  

In case you are not familiar with the image I used at the top of this post.... it is a Bridle Bit for horses.  Back when I was early in my undergraduate education, I was all over the map in terms of what my attempted career choice would be.  Most of the time as an undergraduate, I was a biology major, although for a brief period I switched for a semester or so to declaring as an English major.  But ultimately I went back to biology.  Yet.... I was unsure of what sort of career I would like to try to pursue.  Originally my parents had encouraged me to go into human medicine.  And for a while I seriously considered it.  I also did VERY well on the entrance exams for medical school.  Yet, I knew in my heart that being a medical doctor would not be good for my personality.  I knew that I would be emotionally affected by the harsh things my patients would be going through health-wise.  And, even though it would be my role and my honor to treat them.... I seriously did not think that my emotional well being would be able to deal with the large amount of grief inherent in that career.  

Also as an undergraduate, I additionally had a period of time where I seriously considered pursuing Veterinary Medical School.  I even spent an entire Summer volunteering (these days, the kids use the trendier term "job shadowing") at a small-animal veterinary practice and at a more distant large animal veterinary practice, and also at a horse stable.  Each experience was immensely interesting.  I became quite adept at working with horses (as a volunteer, I never rode a horse, but did learn to groom, learn to bit and bridle, learned to saddle horses, and mucked out a helluva lot of stables).  I was even asked to help out at a horse mating event.  To my late teen/early 20 sensibilities, I was rather in awe while helping with and watching the mating rituals of horses, and was rather shocked at how "endowed" a stallion would become when aroused. I observed matings between males and female horses at this even, and also watched and observed a veterinarian who needed to use an electroejaculatory device on a stallion so the veterinarian could retrieve a gamete sample for use in artificially inseminating a mare who refused the advances of the available suitor stallions.  The device was a long electrode that stimulated an area of the rectal region that buttressed up (pun initially unintended, but recognized) near the prostate gland. While the veterinary work was very interesting, I ultimately decided against pursuing that as a career (again even though I performed well on the entrance exams) for the same reason as not choosing medical school.... but in this case, I was more concerned about not having the emotional fortitude to withstand experiencing the hurt and grief of the owners who had pets/animals with poor prognoses.      

PipeTobacco

7 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

It does sound like it would have been difficult or impossible for you to protect your sensitive nature from the inevitable tragedies and pain of the human and animal doctor. You would have taken it all on! I use that going to sleep technique also although not with pipes. Sorry about the family stress--you know I can relate!

Friday, 03 February, 2023  
Blogger redb56 said...

It’s too bad you didn’t look into pathology as an MD career. Reading your blog for awhile I think it would have been right up your alley, very scientific and stimulating with little or no patient contact. I love it!

Friday, 03 February, 2023  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

I agree completely….. I was too naive in my youth about what pathology was as a career. I do think if I had not gone the professorial route and had known about pathology…. I would very much have liked it as a career path.

Friday, 03 February, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I see pathology is mentioned in the comments. But you take on your students' emotional toll and I think you would have been the same with the dead person! You are too kind-hearted. No, not 'too' just kind-hearted.

I wanted to be a vet when I watched the original All Creatures Great and Small series - until I saw the vet put his hand up a cow's bottom. That finished me!

Saturday, 04 February, 2023  
Blogger redb56 said...

I must say something to help stop a common misconception about pathology. 99% of my work deals with the living, whether that involves making a malignant diagnosis, determining the classification of a tumor or selecting the proper test or blood product for a patient. Autopsy is a VERY small part of my life (perhaps 3 a year). Yes, it does take an emotional toll to think of the consequences of a diagnosis and the mechanism of death, but someone has to do it and in the long run it is all very helpful/useful. We are NOT all Quincy! Ok, I’m off my soapbox!

Saturday, 04 February, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Your intelligence gave you good options.

Saturday, 04 February, 2023  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

well like Anna says in Frozen...
let it go ...let it go..let it goooo

Monday, 06 February, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home