The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Somewhat of a Slug Today....


 

Well, today is more understandable for me to be somewhat like a slug.  We did go to the outdoor dinner my wife had found for us for Independence Day, and stayed through the Fireworks late into the evening.  The food was pretty standard picnic/barbecue fair, but it was nicely done and tasty.  I was greatly relieved that we were able to find a shady spot to park our folding chairs as well.  I would not have done well with additional sun.  It turned out to be a pleasant evening.  We were not aware that this location also would have allowed us to bring in a cooler if desired, so my wife and I had purchased extra large diet drinks from the local convenience store  (aka a "Super Big Gulp" from 7-11).  

I had polished off my big beverage quite quickly and had also consumed a sizable amount of my wife's as well (she always likes to GET a big drink, but really never drinks much of it, so I usually finish hers after she begins to ignore it).  We met some friends at this location as well, and they were more knowledgeable about what was able to be brought in, so they had a cooler with them.  

The evening continued on and we spent a lot of time chatting.  Eventually, it started to become dark enough so that the fireworks show would begin (~10:15pm).  One of our friends offered me a beer from their cooler, and I willingly accepted since I had actually grown thirsty again.  It reminded me of how interestingly different folks tastes can be.  The friend had brought a cooler of their preferred beer (this time it was Michelob Ultra, but their preferences are always for beers of similar ilk to this).  It was pleasant and I was thankful.  But, it reminded me about how my palate is dissimilar to theirs, because TO ME these sorts of beers taste pretty much like water with a hint of flavoring.  They are a very pale yellow color.  Do not get me wrong, I was HAPPY to have and enjoy the beer, but it just did not really say "BEER" to me, if that makes sense.  

When we had camped together, I think it was perhaps two years ago, we had brought a cooler of various beverages (pop, beer, water, etc) and so did our friends.  One evening, when the stores near the campground had closed, they ran out of beer, so I offered them some of the beer I had brought.  Unfortunately, when they tasted it, they were clearly displeased..... the beer I had brought was a much heavier flavored beer with a very dark amber color and a quite "hoppy" taste to it.  To me.... those flavors represented "BEER".  To our friends, however, the flavors were so bad, that they only took the initial sip, and handed it back (and I eventually drank them).  My wife doesn't drink and has never liked to do so, so I am not sure if I am actually more of a lone outlier... or if it is just as I presume..... varied preferences.  

We ended up getting home a little after 12:30am, and my wife and I watched a bit of television before going to bed.  I was hungry again, so I ended up eating a substantial bowl of a cold, curried chickpea salad I had made that also had Swiss chard in it.  We actually went to be around 2:30am. 

Try as I might, when my alarm went off at 5:30am.... I got out of bed, went to the bathroom, and then started to put on my running clothes.... but my heart was not in it.  I went back to bed.  I ended up getting up around 8:30am.  I checked the air quality of our region, and dammit... it was again in the "unhealthy" zone.  So, that made my decision even easier.... I went to the local track and hoofed out 10 miles (~16 km) indoors.  It was nice.... no sun, air conditioning, filtered air.  It was a wise decision.  

With the later start to the day, I called the music store and asked if I could instead bring my bass clarinet on Thursday because I was still working through some things on it (and I needed the extra time in the day for some U tasks).  They were fine with that.

 So, I was still somewhat of a slug today.  But I have compensated adequately.  

I am in my U office as I type this, and have been working on a fair amount of paperwork in preparation for the upcoming on-line meeting to get the electronic "gizmo" stuff set for the new edition of textbook used in my A&P class.  Although I was never "fussy" nor "high-falutin'" about pipe tobaccos (I still say there was NEVER a pipe tobacco that I could not find something about it to enjoy.), over the years, even though my mainstays were general workhorse blends, and various pipe-shop created blends.  But, I did also occasionally buy a "pricier" tinned pipe tobacco on occasion.  On of my favorite tinned pipe tobaccos has been "Balkan Sobranie" which used to be produced in London, but it has not been produced for quite a while now.  There is a "replica" of it available, but I never tried it.  But, I still have much of a tin of real Balkan Sobranie.  It was the first pipe tobacco that I had tried with Latakia in it, so created quite an impression on me.  I have that tin open near my desk now, so I can enjoy its earthy, deep aroma.  

PipeTobacco

PipeTobacco 

 


3 Comments:

Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I am not a beer guy. If I do have one on very rare occasions, I would like it to be with something edible, like pizza or even chips.

Wednesday, 05 July, 2023  
Blogger Margaret said...

That seems like an excellent and festive outing. I'm with you on the lighter beer and prefer an amber ale because of its rich beer flavor. I differ with you on the hoppy since I don't like IPAs or anything too bitter. It sounds like you had a good day!

Wednesday, 05 July, 2023  
Blogger Liz Hinds said...

Our pantry - and fridge in hot weather - always contains the beers you like. Do call in if you're passing! Hobgoblin Ruby Ale is Husband's favourite.

Thursday, 06 July, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home