The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 20, 2023

Bootstraps


 

Trying to "pull myself up by my bootstraps" so-to-speak so that I can get out of this dark storm-cloud mood.  I have to learn to accept "what is" versus "what I would like it to be".  It is easier said, than done of course.  But, it is the only option I have.  

I guess I have adapted in some fashion.  Just like I have learned over the years to NOT eat out of hurt or frustration.... I find that in this state of mind that the "NOT do" also applies to my pipes.  I have had rather "minimal" interest in thinking about pipes or even a potential pipe adventure during this mood.  That is probably a positive, for if I were to have an opportunity to have a pipe, I WOULD NOT want to waste that special event with the state of mind I am in.  Perhaps that is why I still had some trouble falling asleep last night, as I could not even conjure up happy thoughts of previous pipes when I was trying to sleep.

But, again.... the goal is to lift myself up by my bootstraps.... force myself through this to a better place again.  It is hard to do, but I have done it before.  I just have to do it again.  I wish things were different, but all wishes will do is, if I add a $1.00 to them, is allow me to buy a refill cup of coffee.  Without the wishes, it would still be $1.00 for that refill cup, so.... well.... it is, what it is.

  • Ran 8.6 miles (~14 km) this morning.  My heart was not into it, and sloughed through just to get it done.
  • Worked some in the garden.  Harvested some chard.  Harvested some herbs (parsley, basil, mint).  Harvested one tomato and three banana peppers.  Harvested several zucchini.
  • Working on embryology.
PipeTobacco
 

2 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Family stuff? I too have been brought low by some drama in that regard. I hope you can get to a place of peace and acceptance after first grieving how you would have wanted it to be. It's hard to let go of our expectations.

Thursday, 20 July, 2023  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

They do say that happiness is a choice, but it can be very difficult to get to the place where we can make that choice. A very long time ago, when I was having a difficult time, I discovered The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I lost myself in that fantasy world and came out in a better place.

Friday, 21 July, 2023  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home