The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, August 07, 2024

Plastic

 

I do not know what the hell happened to make my post all "white" and pale blue writing.  I am hoping this re-posting fixes it:

As a "science guy" I really should report on some of what I feel are the most pressing issues regarding science.... at least occasionally.  So, I thinking I will perhaps devote Wednesdays to trying to highlight science that I think is especially meaningful and important. 

From both a medical and ecological perspective, I believe we as a world are at grave risk from the effects of plastics. 

Think about how ubiquitous plastics are in every facet of daily life.  It is nearly impossible to not have plastics in day-to-day living currently.  Most modern plastics are derived from fossil fuels so their use and manufacturing also impacts us related to climate change. Plastics can and do break down into their constituent parts over time, even though their breakdown is dependent upon environmental factors.  There are a large array of chemical components in most plastics.  One fairly well known component of many plastics we come across in day-to-day life are the bisphenols, of which bisphenol A is the most well known, even though there are several bisphenols that have been or are used in plastics.

Bisphenol A (BPA) is an endocrine-disrupting chemical that can have neural and endocrine effects:

  • BPA can impair neural proliferation, migration, and differentiation during brain development.
  • BPA can also reduce the proliferative capacity of neural stem cells and oligodendrocytes. 
  • BPA can influence synaptic formation and activity in the brain. 
  • BPA can interact with DNA base pairs, destroying the molecular structure and impairing DNA function. 
  • BPA binds strongly to ERRγ, a nuclear receptor expressed in the mammalian brain during development. This binding could perturb ERRγ's physiological functions, which may lead to neurodevelopmental disorders.
  • BPA is associated with neurodevelopmental and neuropsychiatric disorders, such as autism spectrum disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and schizophrenia.  
  • BPA has also been associated with cognitive and behavioral disorders, such as memory impairments, attention deficits, and reduced focus

We are literally a global experiment (we are "guinea pigs" so-to-speak) on the effects of these compounds.  The global transition from glass and metal containers to plastic containers that began primarily in the 1970s but accelerated in the 1980s means we are all being exposed to these compounds that were mostly unheard of prior to that time. 

And, even though I have only focused lightly on BPA and its effects, there is SO, SO very much more involved as well in terms of human, non-human animal, and environmental health related to plastics.  It is NOT recognized as it should be by the public at large.

PipeTobacco


4 Comments:

Blogger Pam J. said...

I couldn’t agree more about plastics. (Glad I’m reading this on my phone and not my desktop. Your color formatting is, shall we say, odd and maybe accidental.)

Wednesday, 07 August, 2024  
Blogger Margaret said...

The site looks normal to me except that the print is light blue instead of white. I think? I am terrified of plastics yet use them too much for convenience sake. :(

Wednesday, 07 August, 2024  
Blogger Pam J. said...

Ignore my comment about formatting. It's now back to light blue on dark blue. Sorry! Obviously my computer acting up.

Wednesday, 07 August, 2024  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I guess our technological abilities have outpaced our scientific understandings.

Wednesday, 07 August, 2024  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home