The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 19, 2007

.
Adventure North

It was a helluva enjoyable weekend up North. It has been a very long time since I have literally shaken off my troubles and concerns and allowed them to sit in "the back of the garage" while I simply had some carefree time.

As I spoke to my wife over the phone before I headed out, we both talked about our love for each other, and we both felt my journey North was important for me, and we both looked forward to our return to each other when my truck again drove in to the driveway. It was a wonderful send off by my wife. I felt loved, I felt cared for, and most importantly I know she understood me and understood why it was important for me to go.

On the drive North, I had a variety of accoutrements for my entertainment. I knew all the stations needed so that I could listen to an uninterrupted stream of National Public Radio on my journey... each time one station's signal would fade, the next in series could be easily dialed in. I had a large thermos of cinnamon pecan flavored coffee, a very large diet Pepsi fountain pop, a small submarine sandwich, two apples, and my pipes... including the beautiful beast I had just purchased on Thursday. In the back of the truck I had a cake my wife baked to have me take to share at the camp, my clothes, rifle (in case I decided to hunt), a pleasant quantity of beer (in glass bottles... it tastes so much better to me that way than it does in cans), a small pint of whiskey, the New York Times, a novel I am currently reading called "Echo Park", and a few other odds and ends.

Traffic on the highway was heavy (because of the plethora of hunters heading North), but not so heavy as to be troublesome for driving. Hats and jackets were displaying swatches of "hunter orange" color in most every truck and car. Listening to the news programs on NPR (mostly a) national news about the recent issues concerning the Democratic contenders, b) the science program called.... "Science Friday", and c) the arts program, "Fresh Aire"), interspersed with a variety of wonderfully rich orchestral classical music pieces was tremendously relaxing, pleasing, and enjoyable to my ears.

As I relaxed into my distance driving mode, I was able to focus on my newly purchased pipe in all of its glory. It has been an exceptionally long time since I have purchased a new pipe for myself, and I was eager to begin the breaking in process that is so enjoyable... you are in a period almost akin to courtship with the pipe, as you see how she will be and how your relationship will develop. As hoped for, I did indeed find a beautiful pipe, and even from the very first bowlful of a mixture I made for the journey (Sir Walter Raleigh mixed with an aromatic hazelnut tinctured burley leaf), I knew that this pipe would be a beautiful, gentle, yet robust companion.

More in my next post.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home