The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 05, 2007

.
Shocking

During the last two weeks, I have been lax in looking through the newspaper. In good times, I get most all of my news from a mixture of reading a local paper, the New York Times, and through listening to National Public Radio. I do not listen to local or national news on commercial television as the local news is atrociously done and the national news on commercial television is about as meritorious as stale bread soaked in day-old coffee.

Yet, during the last two weeks, my time has been very limited... so the newspapers have been laid aside until I could find time to glance through them. Much to my horror and surprise, I see that nearly two weeks ago, an old acquaintance with whom I went to high school with... ended up dying in a triple suicide pact.

It is so tragic and odd. She was a very quiet, mouse-like girl when I knew her. Apparently she married a brute of a man only one month or so ago. Even though she was older, it was her first marriage. Together, they and one of his children together overdosed on pain medication and the husband pumped exhaust from his truck into their home. Each of the three of them wrote a suicide note.

The details are sketchy thus far. But, it was very sad, very shocking. It was fairly big news in the state, but she was a rather secondary character in the whole affair, as the majority of the news coverage concerned this brute of a man and the way he had interacted over the years with his son. The two did not get along. My friend/acquaintance lived at the other end of the state at the time of the trio's suicide.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home