The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, November 12, 2007

.
Tempormandibular Joint Disorder

Temporomandibular joint disorder is a problem related to the jaw joint. Other names include myofacial pain dysfunction and Costen's Syndrome. Because muscles and joints work together, a problem with either one can lead to stiffness, headaches, ear pain, bite problems (malocclusion), clicking sounds, or locked jaws.

The reasons for developing temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJ) vary and often include several of the following:

1. Teeth grinding and teeth clenching (bruxism) increase the wear on the cartilage lining of the TMJ.

2. Dental problems and misalignment of the teeth (malocclusion). Chewing on only one side of the jaw can lead to or be a result of TMJ problems.

3. Trauma to the jaws. Previous history of broken jaw or fractured facial bones.

4. Stress frequently leads to unreleased nervous energy. It is very common for people under stress to release this nervous energy by either consciously or unconsciously grinding and clenching their teeth.

Tonight/today my TMJ is acting up. I was first diagnosed with the condition in my latter teens when my jaw started to click, clack, and grind audibly. Bite splints help and I have chewed my way through many of them over the years. My own condition is caused by a propensity towards grinding my teeth, a tendency to chew on one side of the mouth in favor of the other (I have always done this, and now try to compensate by altering sides fairly often), and through STRESS.

Stress is the major contributing factor for the flare ups I have occasionally in this condition. I am going to go to bed now and take two Tylenol to try to reduce the pain and swelling in my jawline.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home