The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

.
So Many Chips

I was going to entitle this essay "So Many Things" but thought "Chips" sounded more interesting and because I am hungry.

I have wanted to sit down and write several times over the last couple of days but the times when I am free to sit at the computer are very oddly scant the last few days. So, here is an abbreviated description of the things that interested me:

1. Exercise has continued well... in terms of me DOING the exercise. I was exceptionally sore from the weight training I did at the gym the first day. So sore, in fact, that it was painful to write with chalk or dry erase markers on the boards the next day in class. I am not sure if the students noticed or not, my very gingerly soft interaction with the boards.

2. Food is much more enjoyable when exercising. I have an easier time eating healthy foods, and I enjoy ALL the foods I eat much more when I am actively exercising.

3. I am pursuing some new serious grant writing efforts this Summer. It feels akin to a "mission" and is (at least currently) an exciting process.

4. I had an argument with my wife yesterday about a small freezer we were being given. The argument actually stemmed from when and how to retrieve the freezer from the donor. One of my wife's statements struck me the wrong way and I was hurt, frustrated and angry. This created a very difficult argument between us. However, the argument dissipated relatively quickly and we both learned some valuable information from this particular argument about communication. I was wholly to blame and at fault in the argument for reacting due to my hurt emotions and not looking at the reality of the situation, my wife's INTENTIONS, and the actual size of the problem we were disagreeing about. What is good, however, is that we talked through this much of the afternoon and came to realize we both have this tendency to react to statements emotionally.... when if we can just step back a moment, we KNOW neither of us MEANS to use hurtful words with each other. The problem stems from different styles of communication we have. My method is long, detail oriented, and a bit didactic and filled with all sorts of qualifiers. My wife's method is short, brief, and pointed. Each method CAN trigger hurt feelings on the part of the other without us even being aware of it. This was useful to figure out and may help us avoid discourse the next time it happens.

5. I am not sure if it is the exercise, or the grant work, or what, but I have been extremely interested in my pipes the last few days. I may indulge a little bit more, but not really anything significat. But, what I *am* finding is that I am examining each pipe smoking experience more deeply and enjoying each bowlful more than typical at least recently.

6. I think my spotty writing has driven people away. I have to figure out a strategy to get people to return... and to draw in more readers.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home