The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

.
Pecan Cinnamon Coffee

Today is a very hectic day for me at the U. I keep thinking I am all caught up on work, but then I remember all sorts of little details and tiny documents I need to work through on a myriad of projects and I then I begin to feel claustrophobic and rushed. But ENOUGH I say! Out damn Spot! I shall continue to LIVE!!!

So, I am now here talking with you, my readership friends, drinking a massively large pecan cinnamon flavored coffee and enjoying a bowl of hazlenut tinctured burley leaf in my back office. It is good to step outside of the harsh chaos of life when teeming masses are constantly tugging at your shirtsleeves wanting something from you... which is what it can feel like at the U at times with hundreds of students, other faculty, administrators, and others all wanting a "piece" of you on THEIR timeline, not yours.

Friday, I DID go visit my friendly, elderly father-in-law and yes, we DID enjoy a plethora of enjoyably fermented beverages and bowls of pipe tobacco. It seems like a helluva long time since I had visited and it was refreshing to my mind and spirit. The gentle, mystical hazy mindset from the beverages and pipes facilitated a beautiful start to the weekend.

Saturday was spent completing tasks around the home, attending a gymnastics event featuring one of the kids, and attending Mass. Mass was especially helpful this week as I could feel a tangible calming and philosophical presence that helped me feel well grounded and in touch with my surroundings. I am very fortunate Catholic philosophy and heritage is a very good fit for me... it is, I believe, very well suited for my personality and demeanor.

Sunday was spent meandering about, getting a few left over tasks accomplished for the home, shopping a bit with the family, and eating a wonderful dinner my wife fixed of soy and ginger flavored salmon, a medley of long grain and wild rice seasoned with parmesean cheese and herbs, a side vegetable, and an enormous salad.

Monday was a bit more problematic. My wife's sister was scheduled for back surgery, so my wife (of course) needed to be at the hospital. Fortunately, my sister-in-law has done well with the surgery and we had a good day overall. I played my first concert of the season as well. It has been two years since I played in a public setting, and it was great to be back with the rest of the group. Of the nine songs we performed, I think we as an orchestra (band) did well on eight of the pieces. And personally, I think I performed acceptably on eight of the nine as well, but was especially pleased I did a very good job on two especially challenging pieces. I must admit I was not at my best on "Man of La Mancha" as while I was playing, I was filled with a bit of emotion which made parts of the song quite difficult to maintain. But, overall it was a wonderful experience and it felt extremely invigorating!

Tuesday... today... is yet to be determined for the most part. But, one thing I can tell you, with a very happy, furry-faced grin on my face, is that after this morning, I have now completed NINE days in a ROW where I have walked my very brisk, 5 mile (8km), vigorous exercise walk. To be so consistent in doing it EVERY day again is something I am pleased about.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home