The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, May 05, 2011

.
The Amazing Blueberry



One of the greatest, albeit simplest, food pleasures I have is eating my cereal in the morning. And, one of the most pleasant parts of my cereal to me is that I have blueberries on my cereal probably 95% of the time. I started to do this perhaps 4-5 years ago, for even though I ALWAYS loved to eat blueberries, for some reason (stinginess perhaps, having parents who lived through the Depression perhaps) I always thought of blueberries as extravagant and decadent. So much so, that even when I would have blueberries back then, I would dole them out more as a garnish rather than as a main serving of fruit.

I still find and feel that blueberries are "decadent" but http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifnow I have been indulging my passion for this decadence. A typical "serving" of blueberries as a fruit is usually listed as 1/2 cup. So, most mornings for the past 4-5 years I have been eating two servings (~1 cup) of these delightful morsels each morning mixed with my cereal. When available, my wife will buy me fresh blueberries, but sometimes during certain parts of the winter, I will have frozen ones instead. And, we have even picked blueberries to freeze ourselves. Whether fresh or frozen, though, it is of no matter to me... both are delightful, each in slightly different ways.

An especially interesting final point, though, is that recently there have been many different studies published showing some pretty striking health benefits in eating blueberries. The link here, for example, is one from WebMD that describes a relationship between blueberry consumption and decreased abdominal fat in rats. My awareness of this and various other studies about blueberries did not occur until after I had already become an active blueberry hedonist.

PipeTobacco

4 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Hand over some blueberries and no one gets hurt.

You must have a blender, make a shake with some of them, lots of them.

Thursday, 05 May, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad all the healthy food is so expensive. I think the reason there is so much obesity in this country is because produce is expensive. Flour, sugar, margarine are cheap. If I did not grow our food we could never afford to eat healthy. Enjoy your blueberries, they are wonderful.

Friday, 06 May, 2011  
Blogger Eric Valentine said...

Your choice of blueberries is a wise one pipe, they are so beneficial for your health as well as the palate.. :)

Saturday, 07 May, 2011  
Blogger amelia said...

My husband is a blueberry addict too! I don't mind them but I find them rather tasteless because, being British, I am more used to blackcurrants which have a lot more flavour.

Tuesday, 10 May, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home