The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

.
Country music, Old Rock and Roll and Such



This post is brought to you as a result of a comment made by my friend, BBC, to my essay from yesterday. I excerpted a bit of it for the title of my essay:

So, while I can assure you I truly enjoy the wind symphony type music I linked you to yesterday... it is by no means the only type of music I enjoy listening to. Here is a rundown of my other favorites.

Probably following the wind symphony type of music, I next most frequently listen to "old school" rock-and-roll, especially that from about the period of 1962 - 1975. Favorite groups and musicians in that time frame for me include Jethro Tull (Ian Anderson, smoking a pipe, is pictured above), CSN&Y, America, Simon & Garfunkel, Chicago, The Drifters, Peter, Paul & Mary (technically they are not rock, but folk, but I include them here), and the Beatles.

Next on the scale would be "jazz" which is a very diverse genre. Specific subcategories that I enjoy include (in order of preference) Modal Jazz, Cool Jazz, Bebop, and Hard Bop. Jazz artists I especially enjoy include Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Art Blakey.

The above three categories (including yesterday's wind symphony group tend to comprise about 90% of what I listen to, musically these days. But I do appreciate other genres as well. I enjoy some country (Willie Nelson is a favorite, but most any sort of country that is not too "caterwallery" (ie. most of Loretta Lynn's discography) is ok with me.). I even like some rock/pop from the 1990's to the present and even will be comfortable with some rap.

PipeTobacco

6 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

Don't forget Buddy Holly, Roy Clark, Elvis, Oh hell, the list could get long.

Loved the New Cristy Minstrels.

This land is your land, this land is my land.....

Wednesday, 27 April, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Roy and I was hauling a load of chickens over the great divide......

No one ever mentions C.W. McCall anymore but he did some great songs.

Wednesday, 27 April, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Opp's, not Roy, Earl, brain fart.

Wednesday, 27 April, 2011  
Blogger hawkhammer said...

You might enjoy The Mumford & Sons cd "Sigh No More."

Wednesday, 27 April, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This land is your land, this land is my land.....

Awesome done by Woody Guthrie and later Arlo Guthrie.

I like Green Day's American Idiot music. But mostly like the rock of the 60 - 70s. But then there is Counting Crows and Pearl Jam, etc.

Like you said, it is endless.

Not into orchestra stuff though. But that does not mean it is wrong.

And Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, etc etc

Wednesday, 27 April, 2011  
Anonymous Bill said...

Try listening to Jess, she's got a powerful beautiful voice!

Sunday, 25 September, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home