The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, June 13, 2011

.
Vehemence



I returned to home late last night, after attending a research meeting in Chicago. It is always nice to be in a large, metropolitan city for a few days, because it is so very much different a lifestyle than in my normal, sleepy, college town. My research talk went very well, and I had a large cadre of people stop and ask me questions and want to talk for quite a while afterwards. It felt good. I truly think I am onto something "big" in regards to my research... I will keep my fingers crossed as I continue to work.

Yet, attending the conference is about a whole lot more than the science. In some ways, the science is actually secondary. Being in the new environment, with family, and enjoying each other's company is the most important part of these adventures.

Being away from the day-to-day requirements, and going to "the big city" for a few days forces me to adapt to the new environment quickly and in doing so, gives me reason to contemplate my current life in new ways.

A few of the things I remembered/recalled from my contemplative, reflective time in Chicago... I want to focus more and more deeply on having joy and happiness be the goal that I have for myself, my family, and also as the goal I want to try to provide (or at least help in) for others. I want to feel an inner peace and harmony with all the things I do. I have found that unless I focus on that idea of working on harmony within myself for me, my family, and my community, it stays tantalizingly just out of my reach.

PipeTobacco

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home