The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

.
Walking the Path



Friday in Chicago was the primary day I spent with other researcher friends in talks, discussions, plenaries, etc. And, it was also the primary evening spent with these researcher friends indulging in ample libations and food. When I awoke to take my walk on Saturday morning (5:00 am as usual), I left the hotel room and rode the elevator down the 47 flights to the entrance to the hotel. Turning to the left I strode for a few blocks while I stretched my legs and arms and shoulders as I worked up to my normal walking speed. I had reached the "Magnificent Mile" in Chicago, which is a region near the water that is jam packed with all sorts of shops of all sorts, many of which are open 24 hours a day.

As it was so early, there were only a relatively small number of folks out an about... numerous shop owners using power washers to clean their little piece of sidewalk, a few homeless, some people still staggering around from the bars, a few early shifters at the Northwestern University Hospital. I felt very good, albeit a bit thirsty from too much salty food and from the many libations, so I decided to exercise in the 10-5 pattern (jog for 10 minutes, walk briskly for 5, repeat and repeat) for the hour.

As luck would have it, just as I was finishing my hour, I ended up being near an "Einstein's Bros." bagel shop which had just opened. I bought the largest coffee they had (their hazlenut flavored coffee is one I enjoy quite a bit). I took the coffee to their outdoor seating area, bought a paper, and relaxed with a pipe. Being the only person outside as the sun was rising was enjoyable. I had two refills on the coffee and a second pipe while I read through the paper.

When I had finished, I dropped the paper off inside so someone else could read it, and then started to walk the several blocks back to the hotel while I enjoyed another pipe. I opened the door to my hotel room at 10 minutes to 8 and heard the beginnings of rustling of others in my family.

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I so don't do big cities anymore, it's just nicer out in the boondocks.

Tuesday, 14 June, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home