The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, July 07, 2011

.
Daydreaming While Proctoring




I am sitting here proctoring an exam. I have played a little bit on the Internet, and am listening to classical music on NPR (I have a small "Walkman" style set of headphones that I have plugged into this computer. I could be doing something more useful like planning a new strand to my research, going over an inventory list of materials to purchase for a new teaching lab, or simply starting to write the next exam. But, for whatever reason, I typically end up only playing and/or daydreaming during proctoring of exams. I have been daydreaming again about pipes and pipe tobacco. The beauty pictured is a new one I have found that has strong aesthetic appeal to me.

PipeTobacco

8 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

And you get paid for goofing off? No wonder our educational system is going to hell.

I don't like most of the music on NPR, being a country shit kicker.

Thursday, 07 July, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Oh, I don't think I need a big pipe, the small bowls on my little pot pipes are just the right size for me.

Thursday, 07 July, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Anyone that listens to 'classical music' and thinks that makes them cultured is just full of shit. :-)

Thursday, 07 July, 2011  
Blogger PipeTobacco said...

Billy:

It is not "cultured" in any way, shape, or form. I just tend to especially enjoy the sound of wind instruments (not as fond of string symphonies really) and classical music has the bonus of not having words or lyrics... which allows me to focus more on things I am *trying* to do while working. I listen to a wide array of musical genres (classical, jazz, pop, old rock, etc) and even listen to some country music (the country music that is less "caterwally"... like Willie Nelson, and others). I *do* however stay far away from the caterwally sounds of Loretta Lynn and her ilk.

Friday, 08 July, 2011  
Blogger amelia said...

My husband is a wind instrument..

Friday, 08 July, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

I'll never smoke weed with Willie again. :-)

Friday, 08 July, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

Mostly I like music with words and singing in it but a good rousing drum solo or dueling banjo's is enjoyable to me.

Friday, 08 July, 2011  
Blogger diana said...

Hi *waves* I found you through Andrew's blog. Just stopping by to wish you "mazel tov" on your walking 1000 days! I've tried to walk more but the weather hinders me, instead I ride my bike every chance I get.
Good luck on your next 1000 days.

Sunday, 10 July, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home