The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Friday, August 05, 2011

.
Bite Splint



Tempormandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) is a condition I have had since I was 15 years of age. Basically, because of a bulldog shaped jaw and dentition pattern (my bottom incisors are about 1/2 centimeter higher than the bicuspids and molars on my bottom jaw) I have always had a strong tendency to clench and grind my teeth. Added to this is the fact that I tend to be a damn worrywart and get stressed out about damn near anything.... and what happens is that I end up grinding and clenching my jaw to such an extent (especially while sleeping) that it inflames my tempormandibular joint.

Luckly, a good 75 - 80% of the problems of my TMJ are alleviated by my wearing (and wearing out) the bite splint shown above. I have had numerous bite splints over the years and have worn through quite a few. They are a Godsend. I have perhaps *not* worn the bite splint a total of 4 evenings in all the decades I have been diagnosed. And each and every time the pain and discomfort was hellacious.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger BBC said...

I think I would try to figure out to get some of my emotions in check, for example, "I just don't give a shit".

I've walked away from plenty of things if I saw that they would be too much strain on me, hell, I've quit jobs after two days.

Friday, 05 August, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

So how is the fishing going?

Friday, 05 August, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home