The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, August 06, 2011

.
Fruit Fly



The common fruit fly is an amazing beast. Most of my cultures are commercial preparations from one of the various fly houses nationwide, but I have a few different local strains as well... one from my back yard, one from a nearby orchard, and one I started from a pair of fruit flies I captured in a local grocery store.

While most of my work is with rodents, I have a side stream of research using the fruit fly as a research model. I started this strand about 15 years ago because of the desire to have a complementary animal model that a) had a much shorter reproductive cycle, b) had a shorter life span, and c) was often easier to use while teaching undergraduate students interested in research, some basic techniques.

PipeTobacco

2 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Takes me back to college genetics 1970 -- little creamers full of Drosophila Melanogaster -- aka blackbellied dew lover....

Saturday, 06 August, 2011  
Blogger BBC said...

You're a fruit, hahaha

Saturday, 06 August, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home