The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, August 08, 2011

.
Pipe Quandary



I have been thinking long and hard again about my quandary with my pipe smoking. There are pros and cons to the issue and it is hard to make a long-term decision:

1. I enjoy smoking my pipes.
2. I enjoy the tobacco.
3. I enjoy the neuronal stimulation of my mind via nicotine.


Yet, there are things that are disappointing of late with the hobby:

4. It is not always very fun to step outside at a gathering or other type of social event to indulge in a pipe. Yet, it is also *sometimes* not fun to refrain from smoking my pipe during said social event.
5. It is economically wasteful to smoke a pipe (it is still a helluva lot cheaper than cigarettes or cigars), but none-the-less it is getting more and more expensive.
6. The attitude of non-smokers to pipe smokers is becoming more negative. It used to be that even during the growing dislike of cigarette smoking, gentlemen who smoked a pipe were viewed as kind albeit a bit treated kindly and even jovially. That sort of treatment is becoming more and more rare.

And, there are things that I dislike with the hobby as well:

7. I do not like the potential health risks.

So, I am again contemplating what I should do and what I will do. I just do not know. I see three options each with different issues associated with it:

A. Keep going as is... smoke my pipe freely and indulge as I wish. This is probably the easiest option, but it does nothing to address the health issues, and I am also still bothered with the disappointing aspects as well. This approach does, however, allow me to maintain what I do *like* about the hobby.

B. Quit smoking a pipe... this will be a challenge, I suspect. I am not sure how much of a craving for nicotine I will have, but I suspect I have the willpower and stubbornness to work through that issue. However, the psycho-social habit itself may be much more challenging for me. I *am* in my very nature, a pipe smoker. I have always enjoyed the mechanics and art of the hobby, and after all these many years it has become an ingrained part of whom I am. To change that will be a challenge.

C. Develop some sort of intermediate plan... this has potential, but many challenges as well. I have thought that perhaps I should try to "unlearn" being a daily pipe smoker and only smoke my pipe under specific circumstances (such as while drinking). If I can figure out how to implement this successfully, it could be a wonderful option. However, I suspect it may not be very easy to do.

So, I will have to continue to try to figure this out.

PipeTobacco

5 Comments:

Anonymous Joe. said...

Sir,

I think you should continue to smoke your pipe as you wish.

There is a fine heritage and custom to pipe smoking and you, as a professor, can influence others to not let this fine art disappear.

-Joe.

PS: Reading this over I find that it sounds sarcastic. I do not mean it to sound that way. My comments were meant sincerely.

Monday, 08 August, 2011  
Blogger Jane said...

You're either a smoker, or you're not.
Every addict thinks they can control their addiction........that they can be the exception to the rule.
If you choose plan C, I suspect you will start drinking more often!
You seem to have a lot of self control.
I bet you'd be successful with plan B. When you make up your mind to do it.

Tuesday, 09 August, 2011  
Blogger GaP said...

Here, here!

Wednesday, 14 September, 2011  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am for sure returning again for more contents of yours.
bull smoke

Monday, 27 August, 2012  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am sure you have a great fan following out there.
premium e-cig

Monday, 27 August, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home