The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Thursday, August 18, 2011

.
Wrist Watch



I find it so odd that a larger and larger percentage of my students DO NOT wear a wrist watch. I would say that my current estimate is that perhaps only 20% of my male students wear a wrist watch ( probably ~10% of female students ). I know this change is due in large extent to the rise in cell phone usage. I suspect that 95+ % of my students have a cell phone, and probably of these 90+ % have a very expensive "smart" phone. The cell phone (whether a "smart" or a "dumb" version) typically has a digital time read-out on it and that is what most students today use.

I have such a digital time read-out on my own cheap-*ss, six year old, pay-as-you-go cell phone that I have spent approximately $200 on in minutes over the six years I have had it. I know some students who pay $100 a month for their "smart" phone.

That said, I still prefer to have a wrist watch.... and of the many watches I own, I still prefer to primarily wear the ANALOG varieties I have over the digital. And, to top it off... I also still prefer to MOSTLY wear the three different wind-up watches I have that I need to wind each morning rather than my battery driven watches.

PipeTobacco

1 Comments:

Blogger GaP said...

Salut, Professor...

Haven't visited you in awhile...Had to comment on your wristwatch observation. Never USED to wear one until I began working for an airline. Now I actually SLEEP with one...it's a part of my body. How have you been?
GaP

Wednesday, 14 September, 2011  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home