The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Maybe on Track

What I did in regards to my (hopefully) last can of Prince Albert Pipe Tobacco, is that I divided it up into seven 1 ounce (28 gram) packets and 14 half ounce (14 gram) packets.  

I have been smoking an average of 4 ounces (112 grams) of pipe tobacco a week when I smoke as desired.  My plan is to try to unlearn smoking a pipe in the reverse of how I learned.  Way back, long, long ago when I first started, I had a pipe as a surprise occurance (when I felt I could sneak a little out of my father's canisters as a kid).  Gradually, I worked my way up to my current state of consumption.  I figure it may be logical to try to work in reverse to quit.  I have taken the (seeming to me very large step) of allowing myself only one ounce of pipe tobacco this week (a 75% reduction).  I am planning to work at accomplishing only smoking one ounce a week for seven weeks, and then cutting that in half.  I may further cut back anytime I feel capable of doing so.  I am hoping I will hit zero before these fourteen ounces are consumed.  

I started Friday morning.  I keep looking at the piddling ounce of pipe tobacco and try to very diligently assess whether a bowl is truly needed/desired or if it is something from which I can refrain.  I have made progress, although I admit the packet of that ounce grows smaller, and it is nerve wracking.  But, I am thinking if I smoke it all ahead of Friday morning, I will (hopefully) just live with the consequences until Friday.   I do believe I am learning and growing.  I do also admit that it is damn hard at times.  

I am hoping this reversal pattern may be successful for me as other routes have always failed.  Perhaps this is the way to success for me?  I am also thing through ways to deal with the inevitable emotions that will occur that will have me wanting to say, "To hell with it!"  That has been a stumbling block as well.  And, my thoughts are that this reversal pattern may help me gain insight into how to better cope with the negative emotions that arise in life (at least perhaps give me alternatives that I WILLINGLY adopt when I get ornery and have automatically reached for my pipe in the past.  

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

I'm wishing you the best on this venture!

Monday, 08 May, 2017  
Blogger Gorilla Bananas said...

Good luck, Professor. A New Zealand rugby coach inspired his players to go through the pain barrier when training by shouting "If it's not hurting it isn't working!"

Tuesday, 09 May, 2017  
Blogger yellowdoggranny said...

I think instead of smoking pipe tobacco you should smoke weed.

Friday, 12 May, 2017  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home