The Thoughts of a Frumpy Professor

............................................ ............................................ A blog devoted to the ramblings of a small town, middle aged college professor as he experiences life and all its strange variances.

Saturday, March 03, 2018

Tricky Success on Day 17

Yesterday was Day 17 of my Lenten journey without my pipes.  As I have stated things have been reasonably successful.  However, yesterday did test my mettle.  When the situation arose, I knew that I would have risk, but I did succeed in maintaining my Lenten vow.

Yesterday, I went to my mother-in-laws home for the first time since the funeral.  My MIL wanted my help in some tasks around the house (fixing a chair for example, and various other "handy-man" sorts of things).  I was very happy to do this.  And, with Friday being the most open day for me to go there, I did so.... in about the same time frame that I usually would go there to visit with my FIL. 

So, I was talking with my MIL and beginning some of the various tasks, when she asked me if I would like a drink.  I had not really thought of that option, as I have long associated this with visiting my FIL and my MIL does not really drink. 

I however, did graciously accept and made myself a drink that I slowly worked through as I finished up a variety of the tasks.  It was a very pleasant late afternoon.  But what was interesting (and not wholly unexpected) was the very strong desire I had for a pipe (or truth be told, several) after the libation did enter my system.  The desire was definitely very real. 

I have to say that I am pleased with my resolve (although some of it was situational and not fully in my control).  While I had a pipe with me (the one I cleaned throughly at the start of this vow, to use as a sort of pacifier), I had none of my pipe tobacco with me.  I did, however, know very well where my FIL's various pipe tobaccos were, and if I had simply asked, I do know my MIL would have been more than willing to allow me to have some of his (we had always regularly shared pipe tobaccos with each other).  But, I did not do this, because I would have then broken my Lenten vow.  I *did* however, use a lozenge, and I also went into the garage and did utilize for a brief period the wretched e-device (I dislike the e device, and when I do so, I do so privately as it feels oddly enough, embarrassing.)   The two items did help to reduce the intensity of wanting to smoke my pipe, but in no way eliminated the desire.  But, I did keep up the resolve to refrain. 

The desire remained (in its muted form) all evening even after returning home, but I was successful in keeping the vow.  I am glad that I did.  It was a bit tricky or dicey, but I have persevered. 

PipeTobacco

3 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

That sounds like a cartload of battles! I'm glad to hear you were successful.
You can do this thing!

Saturday, 03 March, 2018  
Blogger peppylady (Dora) said...

I forgot it was lent

Saturday, 03 March, 2018  
Blogger Geo. said...

Your resolve is admirable. The longest I have gone without smoking in the past 50 years is one week. Cardiologist would not permit it while I recovered from open heart surgery --understandable rule, I guess. However, that was 12 years ago and I find myself reaching for my my pipe less and less, and of course never in this neo-puritanical public. I hope eventually to quit before the price of good tobacco rises much higher.

Sunday, 04 March, 2018  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home